Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Growing Food: Proper Attire

Have you ever heard of the UV Index? It is, essentially, a number on a scale that tells you how strong the sun is. The higher the number, the more likely you are to get sunburned. You can see a map of it here.

What that map will show you is that the entirety of New Mexico is one big UV lamp. It's worse than the deserts of southern Arizona. Especially at higher altitudes like ours, you just do not mess around with the sun here. 

I unfortunately have a great sensitivity to almost all types of sunscreen, which means that when I go outside, I have to cover up with clothing. And that means that whenever I go out to the garden, I wear this:


Super chic.

What you see there is the world's dorkiest hat, but it shades my entire face and neck AND it has one of those cords to tighten under my chin so it doesn't blow off in our horrible wind.

The shirt is just an oversized thin button-up cotton shirt I bought on Amazon. I put it on over whatever short-sleeved shirt I'm wearing, button it at the neck, turn up the collar, and go about my merry way in our blazing sun.

It ain't pretty, and it certainly isn't fashionable, but it works.

So tell me, fellow gardeners: What do you wear to work in the garden?

8 comments:

Kit said...

I wear a man's long-sleeved button up shirt with a high collar, long pants, and a hat. I even wear this outfit in public, like when we go strawberry picking. Who cares about pretty, it's practical, right?

Karen. said...

This looks a lot like what my sister wears almost every day for the same reason.

My eyes are allergic to every sunscreen to the point that I make my kids put it on each other if they are going to be wearing it. Can't touch it.

Yet, myself, I just wear jeans alllll the time, and similarly a hat and light shirt if I'm going to be outside very long. Otherwise, nothing different than usual, which I am well aware is not the brightest. Yet another good reason to roll my eyes at myself.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Kit: I can't wear this shirt in public because it is NASTY from gardening in it. I need to get another for venturing out, but it seems to be out of stock now. Boo.

Karen.: Yup, my eyes are what mostly rebel against sunscreen. Although some sunscreen also makes my skin burn. It's a bummer, especially given my fair skin and current location.

Cathy W said...

Just a reminder that not all clothes are UPFsafe. The closer the weave and darker the fabric the better and some fabrics are made just for that (coolibar.com; uvskinz.com; cabanalife.com to name a few). My husband died of melanoma so I always want to encourage proper attire and sunscreen. He also had problems with sweating off sunscreen into his eyes. I'm not sure if this is what people were referring to with eyes burning but he had the best luck on his face with a powered sunscreen. It went on like a powered foundation with a brush. Hope this is helpful.

Daisy said...

I hear you! I live in a low altitude area in Wisconsin, so the sun isn't a terrible threat. I do wear a foot/ankle brace, though, at my doctor's suggestion. I don't need it every day, but I wear it for yard work and gardening to protect my leg from bending awkwardly or from putting weight on at a bad angle and developing problems. I put this brace in a pair of shoes that are almost, but not quite, like hiking boots.

L said...

Found your blog through TheFrugalGirl & love it! Gardening in South Georgia is ALL about sweat . . . but yeah: long sleeves and a big hat. I need to get better about face sunscreen though.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Cathy W.: I'm sorry about your husband. Thank you for the information. I had never heard of powdered sunscreen before.

L.: Thanks for coming over! Gardening in upstate New York was also a sweat bath. Which makes face sunscreen even worse, because it runs down into the eyes. Yuck.

Elaine N said...

Your attire looks like what my mother gardened in until her health declined. Her gardens were always beautiful and she fed us very well! I don't think sunscreen is good for us.