Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Growing Food: Adjusting

This has been a highly unusual spring. In the past three weeks, we've gotten at least four inches of rain, which is almost unheard of here on the high plains. As I mentioned in my last post, the older people say it hasn't rained like this in 80 years.


See that line on my bedroom window? That's a worm. It is five feet in the air. When the worms are literally starting to climb the walls, you know that soil is totally saturated. I have never seen such a thing.

This means some adjustments are in order in my garden.

See, our garden is set up above all to maximize water retention. This is necessary because we are typically watering with a hose. That's why we plant everything in trenches or cells. That's why I mulch as much as I can. That's why I tend to space my plants closer than the recommended spacing.

But now these things are starting to be a detriment rather than a benefit.


The semi-permanent lake in the lane on the other side of my garden fence is a good gauge of the wet conditions lately.

It's a good thing I don't have a lot of old hay to mulch with this year, because I definitely don't need it. The only bed that I had mulched--the cabbages--is so wet it has colonies of grubs all around the plants. These are the nasty ones that someone told me turn into june bugs. I do not want them in my garden. And yet, there are literally dozens of them, hiding under the mulch and flourishing in the saturated soil. I even found a little slug in there. A slug! 

I pulled all the mulch off that bed and have spent hours digging around the plants in there, unearthing nests of grubs and squishing them between my fingers*. It's totally disgusting, but the easiest way to get rid of them.

I am certainly not going to be mulching my tomatoes. Even if the volunteer lettuce wasn't in there, it wouldn't do the tomato plants any good. They're in half an inch of standing water every time we get a downpour. Which is almost every day lately. Mulch would just encourage more of the grubs, I'm sure.

Thankfully, our soil is generally pretty loose and seems able to absorb an astonishing quantity of water. Although we could definitely use some sun and heat now, the plants seem to be doing pretty well with all the water getting dumped on them, but it's been a strange year in our High Plains garden for sure. It's a good reminder that gardening requires constant experimentation and adjustment. 

So tell me, my fellow gardeners: How's the garden weather where you are?

*Or, more preferably, getting my sons to do it for me. They relish this task, and will actually aim the grub so that when they pop it with their fingers, goo shoots out at their target. As long as their target isn't me, I don't care.


8 comments:

Mary W said...

In Maryland, we're in one of our periodic spring/early summer droughts. Happens every few years. What's unusual about this one is the temperatures are mild and the humidity is low, so everything is drying out really quickly. Clothes on the line dry faster than in the dryer. So, I'm out every morning watering the new plantings and filling up the birdbath. The cool weather is great.

Cathy said...

Could you let the chickens in to eat the grubs or would they destroy the plants to?

We’ve had a pretty mild spring in NC this year, hottest day we’ve had was last week and it was just 90.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Cathy: They destroy the plants.

Kit said...

I'm in Maryland with Mary W. And I agree, it's dry as a bone and the clothes are drying on the line as fast as I can put them out. I'm just praying the rain isn't saving itself for July when we go camping.

Anonymous said...

I'm just across the state line and a bit to your south -- all field work here is at a dead standstill due to the crazy, unimaginable, INSANE amounts of rain we've been getting. I read on the National Weather Service page about a week ago that some areas at that time had already had 600% of their average annual rainfall (yes, SIX TIMES the average YEARLY total) and I know it's rained in those places since then. Pretty wild. As for our garden ... well, we've tried numerous times to container-grow some tomatoes, the one thing we really desperately would love to have home grown and fresh picked, and not from the store (commercial tomatoes are just gross). But tomatoes do not appreciate the nomadic nature of our work, and they either fail to thrive or just straight-up die. But if we did have our traveling garden right now, it would be completely drowned.
--Karen.'s sister

mbmom11 said...

We have very dry and hot weather. The area could really use the rain- it hasn't rained for a month. The grass is drying out, and the fields of crops in the area could benefit from a few nice thunderstorms. We often have hot weather at end of May/start of June, but the lack of precipitation is unexpected.

Anonymous said...

With only 2 chickens, I've been letting them loose, and they do dig things up. When I find grubs, I call the chickens, who come running. When they are in their coop, I collect grubs in a feed pan for them. Squishing seems very gross!!!

JP2GiannaT said...

It's been getting so hot here that most things are finishing up. There's been rain, so it's not lack of moisture: it's just too hot. Our tomatoes are all coming ripe now, but when they're done we'll only have cantaloupe and okra left. July and August are usually just too hot for anything at all.