Friday, July 21, 2023

Friday Food: Atypical Treats

Friday 

Short version: Soft tacos or chimichangas, green salad with vinaigrette, vanilla ice cream

Long version: I made taco meat with ground beef, ground sheep, and canned beans, and then let the kids choose whether they wanted corn tortillas for soft tacos, of flour tortillas for chimichangas. 

That sure was a run-on sentence. Oh well.

Saturday

Short version: Bunless cheeseburgers, fried mushrooms, oven fries, roasted sweet potatoes, corn on the cob, carrot sticks, watermelon and Mexican wedding cookies

Long version: So many options for this meal! White potatoes or sweet potatoes?


I had to take some of the sweet potatoes off of this pan, though, because it was too crowded for proper browning and crisping.

Watermelon or cookies? Both, of course!

The real excitement for this meal, though, was the corn on the cob. This is the first time this summer we've had it, and the children were thrilled.

Little things, right?

Sunday

Short version: Nachos, carrots, Australian chocolate blocks

Long version: I had gone to the nearest town the day before to get fly spray for the horses, and of course stopped at the grocery store while I was there. I had a couple of kids with me, and we got some things that are not typically part of our groceries. Things like the aforementioned corn on the cob. And blue corn tortilla chips, which I used for nachos with some of the leftover taco meat. 

Also, two blocks of chocolate from Australia.


These come from the land down under, where beer does flow and men chunder*.

These were by the register. I remarked to the children how interesting that they were from Australia. "Oh, we have lots of Australian candy," said the cashier.

Really? A lot of Australian candy in a tiny grocery store in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere, New Mexico, U.S.A? The next obvious question of course was, "Why?" but I didn't ask. Instead I just bought the chocolate.

These weren't really chocolate bars, because they were so big. Almost half a pound. The packaging on one was labeled "chocolate block," so that's what I went with.

Everyone got to try both kinds.  I didn't think either were particularly great, but the children were very happy with them. And I didn't have to bake anything for our Sunday dessert. Yay.

Monday

Short version: Tuna melt sandwiches, dilly beans, Australian chocolate

Long version: This was the day I realized that the carpet in my bedroom that got completely soaked in the Severe Weather Event was not going to dry. I realized this because my bedroom started to smell like a wet dog. 

So I spent the hour or so before dinner pulling up the carpet in my bedroom, including the crumbling carpet pad underneath, and vacuuming the wet particle board sub-floor. 


So nasty.

This activity made me hot and kind of grossed out, but I still went ahead and made the tuna salad into hot sandwiches instead of just smushing it between slices of bread and calling it good.

Yes, I expect my gold stars for this superior show of selflessness any day now.

The dilly beans were the very last ones from last year. And will almost certainly be the last ones until next year, as my green bean plants got flattened by the hail. Maybe a couple will revive, but I'm certainly not anticipating any great harvests this year.

Tuesday

Short version: Fried pork, leftover noodle, green salad with vinaigrette, vanilla ice cream

Long version: This was pork I had put in the freezer last time I made a pork shoulder. I just shredded it and fried it in bacon grease with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

The noodles were plain egg noodles leftover from the birthday dinner that I heated up with butter, Parmesan, and garlic powder.

And the last of the vanilla ice cream, because we hit 100 degrees this day. 

Wednesday

Short version: Pork fried rice, Otter Pops

Long version: I was planning on making barbecue pork sandwiches . . . and then I went into the kitchen at 3:30 p.m. and made some rice so I could use the pork to make fried rice.

Why? Who knows. It just happens that way sometimes.

We are rapidly approaching the county fair. Which means the parade. Which means dozens of Otter Pops thrown to my children. Which means I need to finish the Otter Pops that are still in the freezer from last year's parade.

I had just enough for all the children to have one, and now we are ready for the next influx.

Thursday

Short version: Lamb chops, leftover noodles or rice, corn on the cob, peanut butter/almond cookies

Long version: One child specifically requested red meat. I guess we had been eating a lot of non-red meat lately. So I took out a couple of packages of lamb chops and fried those. 

These cookies, which are definitely the best. But with chopped almonds added, because I am still working through the many bags of commodities almonds I got like two months ago. 

I always think I'll never get through the huge quantity of things we get at once from commodities, and then one day I realize, "Oh man. I don't have anymore chickpeas." Even though I had literally dozens of cans of chickpeas at one point. I always do manage to use it all eventually.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

* It's from a song. This one. And wow, that video sure is . . . something.

11 comments:

mbmom11 said...

"Can you hear can you hear the thunder?you better run you better take cover..." that song is appropriate given your horrible storm!
Fri- last day of awesome sister was very hot and sticky- so domino's pizza with a gift card. Also salad, and banana chocolate chip muffins made early in the morning before the heat and humidity became gross.
Sat- on the road at daughter's house. She was going to grill but decided the on and off rain wasn't ideal for it. So we had take out Chinese food- the best beef and broccoli I ever had. So much meat- at least 3/4 of the dish was beef- I kept going back for more. Egg rolls were too thick and so lacked the right crunch. Flavor was good. Picky kids had Graham crackers, but he was fine as he ate 15 chicken nuggets at lunch, and many car snacks.
Sun- long detour to see inlaws in another state on our long drive home, so car snacks (including muffins I had put aside on Fri). Also leftover pizza and one grilled cheese when we got home.
Mon- took chili out of freezer for husband, corn bread, scrambled eggs for kids.
Tues- a rare cool day in July, so pasta, broccoli, Italian sausage, garlic bread.
Wed- leftover pork roast from freezer turned into pulled pork, hot dogs, fries, apple slices.
Thurs- hamburger, pork chops from freezer, corn on the cob, waffle fries.
I hope your clean up goes smoothly and that your garden rises again! ( saints Isadore and Fiacre are good choices for prayers of intercession.)

mbmom11 said...

BTW, how do you cook your corn on the cob? I've started using the instapot to cut down on the steam production in hot weather (and I can plug it in outside if need be). Do you grill or boil it?
And one more Saint for you - if a bad storm comes by again, try Saint Cresent- he's been keeping tornados away from my town for over 100 years.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

mbmom11: I had never heard of Saint Crescent. Too bad I don't have a relic here.

I've been microwaving corn on the cob for years, because who wants to boil a giant pot of water in the hottest days of summer? I shuck it first so I don't have to do it whan it's steaming hot, then wrap it in a damp tea towel, and micowave for a few minutes per ear. I'm only doing four at a time usually, so it's fine. More than half a dozen might get awkward, though.

Cathy W said...

Will insurance cover new carpet and windows? Hope your garden bounces back. Crazy weather this year.

JP2GiannaT said...

Monday: pre marinated grocery store chicken thighs on the grill, coleslaw, chips, pickles
Tuesday: frozen lasagna someone gave us, garlic bread made of leftover hamburger buns, salad
Wednesday: fideo soup with ground pork (think Mexican spaghetti-os, but homemade)
Thursday: ground pork chili, hotdogs, chips, pickles, homemade sauerkraut. No buns, as I had none and didn't want to buy them.
Today: quiche is on the menu plan. What actually happens remains to be seen.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Cathy: I don't know yet. The adjuster was out here on Tuesday taking pictures and so on, but I haven't yet received the final decision as to what might be covered.

Cathy W said...

Kristin, I hope it is all covered!

Andra said...

Friday: We went out to Moe’s. My daughter had a swimming party and she ate there. We took the five-year-old to go see an illusionist at the local amusement park since we have season passes. It was too hot to do anything else so we grabbed some dinner and then and went and picked up my daughter.

Saturday: I think the kids had chicken nuggets and fruit and who knows what else. My daughter was babysitting her brother because my husband and I went out. The leader of our adult class at church made arrangements to have a private room at a restaurant where we played games and ate dinner. We typically get together every few months outside of church but it’s usually family pot luck style and the kids come. This was the first one for just the adults and it was a fun time.
Side note: my kids are eight years apart… Our second was quite the surprise… So we were so excited to have a group that was a mix with age ranges for the kids. My youngest has kids to play with, and my oldest has kids that she can talk to and hang out with.

Sunday: spaghetti and meat sauce, and salad. My daughter was leaving for a 5 day youth group camp with our church starting Monday for five days so I made something that I could add a ton of vegetables too because…umm…she doesn’t seem to eat balanced meals at youth events.

Monday: salmon, rice, green beans. My son ate his fish too. But he had to have Parmesan crusted fish sticks in the air fryer. And he did eat some green beans, but he did informed me they were gross.

Tuesday: cheesy chicken enchiladas. Yummy recipe a friend shared with me, but I had to scale back the cheese for my husband. The picky one had a hotdog, Clementine, and blueberries

Wednesday: Leftovers

Thursday: I don’t remember.

Friday: My daughter got back from camp. I discovered my dad’s dog has fleas and I am pet sitting her. He gave her a topical but it clearly didn’t work. After ugly crying I took her to the vet and got her treated and got a prescription flea medication to administer for the following day. And I have a routine to vacuum everywhere 2-3 times a day. Needless to say, We picked up chick fil a. And I am now singing “she’s a killing machine” to the dog.

Andra said...

Kristin, I hope the insurance payments come through to help with the monetary part to fix the damage from the storm.

Kit said...

Friday-stirfried beef and green beans, baked potatoes
Saturday-tuna salad, sourdough biscuits
Sunday-curried lentils, fresh bread
Monday-chicken taco salad, vanilla wafer pudding
Tuesday-leftover lentils, cheesy biscuits
Wednesday-chicken salad, broccoli, butterscotch apple dump cake
Thursday-grilled (not by me) chicken, baked potatoes, fresh green beans

It's a heart breaker that you lost the garden. In 2018 the creek in front of our house flooded and washed away the entire garden, the garden shed, part of the driveway and a lot more. So I can really sympathize with your loss. But I guess you just keep going on, and plant again the next year. That doesn't make you feel better at the time though.

Natalie J said...

Squirrels and crazy weather have taken out most of our garden, but we rely on it much less than you do. I'm sorry :(