Sunday, October 15, 2023

Snapshots: A Surgery Story

Apologies for the late post today. It's been some weekend.

My sister arrived on Thursday for a weekend visit. As always, she brought flowers with her from the grocery store. It was a big bunch, and I separated them into an arrangement for the dining room table:


Pretty colors.

And one for the living room:


Fall flowers.

Unfortuntely, she arrived the day before my eldest son had foot surgery to remove an extra bone in his foot that has been causing him pain for years and had essentially crippled him in the past couple of months.

The nearest city big enough to support a podiatrist is 140 miles away. We were supposed to check in at the hospital at 6:45 a.m. So we left at 3:45 a.m. and I drove the whole way in the dark. That's a long way with not a lot of lights or people. There are only three villages between us and the city, and the largest of them has less than 1,000 people. So I was pretty much driving through rangeland the entire way.

I was very concerned about hitting a large animal somewhere along the way. We saw quite a lot of wildlife--a jackrabbit, two coyotes, a deer, a very fat badger, and a shrew--but they thankfully managed to get off the road before we got to them. Well, except the shrew. 

Sorry, shrew.

Anyway.
 
We made it to the hospital without incident, the surgery went well, and we came home that afternoon to begin recovery. It's a long one--a full month before he'll be 100% in that foot again--but I'm hopeful he's past the worst of the pain.

One child was home from school on Thursday because of a cold, and another one started complaining of a sore throat on Saturday. This meant that the only church attendees from our house this Sunday were Poppy, my sister, and me. I had to be there because it's a Church Lady month for me.


Morning light on the church.


And inside the church before I turned on the lights.

There you have it! My life, snapshotted.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful picture if the church. Hope your son is on the mend soon.
Linda

Anonymous said...

How about of the church!

mbmom11 said...

Gorgeous church! I love how churches can be so different in style but all have their own beauty.
It's great the surgery was outpatient - hopefully he recovers quickly!

Claire said...

Swift recovery to C !

Mei said...

My niece suffered the same surgery on her right foot. Her recovery was slow but I expect that was her fault for resisting therapy. I pray your son recovers quickly.

Andra said...

I hope your son recovers quickly and is then pain free!
Beautiful picture of the church.

Anonymous said...

I have had foot surgery a couple of times--and it's no fun. But I am sure that younger bones heal better than mine did. Anyway, you could just come to our neighborhood in the heart of the Twin Cities to see coyotes. Sometimes you can hear their kills scream in the night (poor bunnies). Mary in MN