Friday, June 21, 2024

Friday Food: I Fixed My Deli Drawer!

Friday 

Short version: Fiesta scrambled eggs, leftover rice, coleslaw

Long version: Fiesta scrambled eggs means I add salsa and grated cheese to them. Sometimes pinto beans if I have an open jar, but I didn't this time.


I had a helper to crack the dozen eggs, which was nice.

I have what seems like unending cabbages coming out of the garden, so it is definitely coleslaw time.

Saturday

Short version: Enchilada casserole, leftover coleslaw, fresh bread with apricot jam

Long version: I had a very long day in the kitchen, what with all those apricots to deal with, plus bread to bake. It was fairly cool this day, though--in the mid 80s--so I took advantage by doing as much kitchen work as possible. 

Since the oven was on anyway to bake the bread, I made the casserole--shredded bull meat, beans, corn tortillas, cheese, homemade enchilada sauce--and baked it while the bread was in. Then at dinnertime, I put the whole casserole in the microwave just to re-melt the cheese. 

Sunday

Short version: Bull big macs, home fries, green salad with vinaigrette, chocolate pudding with cream

Long version: No steak for Father's Day? Nope. Because we don't have any. Luckily, A. loves cheeseburgers. Especially with homemade sourdough buns and Big Mac sauce.

I would typically have made oven fries with this meal, but it was hot and I didn't want to have the oven on at a high temperature for 45 minutes. So instead, I microwaved a few big potatoes until they were mostly cooked, then chopped them and fried them in a skillet.


Father's feast frying. (Yay, alliteration!)

Monday

Short version: Leftovers, customized ice cream

Long version: The kids finished the enchilada casserole. A. had the last hamburger patties (no buns) and leftover rice. I had a salad.

And it was hot, so we all had ice cream. A couple of kids had mint chocolate chip. We also had vanilla ice cream, which was topped with either apricot puree, maple syrup, or chocolate syrup, depending on preference.

I had the chocolate syrup. It's the taste of my childhood. Well, the taste of my childhood was actually Hershey's syrup, and the syrup I make is better, but it's the same idea.

Tuesday

Short version: Breakfast burritos, raw produce, more ice cream

Long version: I unearthed a bag of elk chorizo at the bottom of one of the chest freezers, so I decided to cook that this night. I also made scrambled eggs with cheese, but separately, because only half the family likes chorizo. So the burritos were either chorizo and egg, or the last of a can of refried beans I found in the refrigerator and egg.

All of the children asked to have chocolate syrup on their ice cream this night. I have converted them. A. stuck with his apricot jam. He's always been a fan of fruit and ice cream.

Wednesday

Short version: Lamb curry, rice, maple lemonade

Long version: I found a boned leg roast from a ewe that we butchered way back in October. I seemed to recall that that sheep was a bit strong-tasting, so I thought it would be a good opportunity to use the extra curry liquid I had frozen one time when I was making curry and made it far too strong. I had taken out some of the liquid to dilute what was left, and froze the extra sauce, which was stock+curry powder.

I also used the last of the cooked yellow split peas that were in the freezer, along with carrots, potatoes, peas, already-cooked onion, and sour cream.

The meat definitely smelled gamey while I was browning it, but that wasn't noticeable in the end result, so it was a good use for the curry.

After dinner, all the children decided to make themselves lemonade with the bottled lemon juice I buy in bulk, and maple syrup. I suspect it was heavy on the syrup, but I just considered it their dessert and let it go.

Thursday

Short version: Roasted chicken and gravy, garlic bread, roasted carrots, sauerkraut, ice cream

Long version: It was cool enough to roast the whole chicken that had been hanging out in the freezer for awhile, so I did that.

Well, I thought it was cool enough, but then it ended up being 80 degrees in the kitchen by the time I was done, so maybe not. Good chicken, though. I made gravy with the juices and milk and cornstarch, too, which was also good.

Refrigerator check:


Please note that I have already replaced the hanger on my deli drawer, rather than piling everything up on the shelf for months. I'm very proud of myself, yes.

Okay, your turn! What'd you eat this week?

4 comments:

mbmom11 said...

Fri- Sun: assorted meat on grill, chips, fruit. Picked cherries from neighbors tree and made freezer jam. And froze about 9 cups of pitted fruit. Too hot to bake a pie.
Mon- Italian sausage on grill, chips, quesadilla for picky eater, and one kid made a little pizza bagel that I cooked on the grill with the sausages. (To reduce potential mess, i put it on aluminum foil). Success.
Tues- grilled some hamburgers and a chicken breast for choices, chips, apples, pineapple. Beyond burgers for adult son and college daughter. I felt bad that I had not made any special treats/meals for adult son who's visiting, so I tried my hand at no bake mini cheesecakes. Gone by breakfast. My husband put the cherry freezer jam I made on them- it's a little runny but perfect as a cheesecake topping.
Wed- thoroughly tired of grilling, I ordered domino's ( I had one free one in the app), and got enough pizza for dinner, the next day's second breakfasts/lunch/mid-afternoon snack- teens being hone for summer means lots of snacking going on. And some for the freezer.
Adult son took college daughter out for fancy vegetarian pizza . (He's on a train trip out west, but stopped at hone for a few days to ride bike, go to favorite restaurants, and chat. ) More mini cheesecakes made as college daughter hadnt gotten any.
Thurs- I had grabbed some meat from freezer- steak and pork chops. Grilled that with some hobo potatoes. Made some instant mashed potatoes for variety, and broccoli. Picky eater had a chicken patty and leftover chips with broccoli. And no one ate the chops, so those will be dinner tonight. College son went out for Korean food.
My area is trapped under high temps and high humidity this whole week, and there's no relief in sight. Usually we get a thunderstorm or two to break up the heat, but no such luck this time. So kids are eating tons of ice cream and freezer pops and store bought cookies.
Enjoy the weekend!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

mbmom11: One of my kids said totally out of the blue yesterday that he wanted cheesecake. I should make a no-bake one soon, I guess. I hope you get some cooler weather in your forecast soon!

mbmom11 said...

I used Sally's Baking addiction recipe
https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/mini-no-bake-cheesecakes/

Very nice, not too sweet, easy to make. I did adjust the crust recipe - a few less crackers and a lot less butter - and only did half a batch at a time. I can't fit too many things in my fridge right now.

I'm thinking about adding mini chocolate chips to the next batch. I think a few of my kids put chocolate syrup or melted chocolate chips on theirs.

Tu mere said...

Am also proud of your persistence and final success with the deli drawer. You need all the space you can get in that refrigerator.