Tuesday, September 24, 2024

God Bless the Teachers

Ever since I started working at our school five years ago as an elementary Educational Assistant (what we used to call a teacher's aide), which morphed into librarian, online English tutor, and frequent substitute for both elementary and high school classes, people have been asking me if I'm going to get my teaching license.

No. Nope. Not gonna do it. Louder for the folks in the back? NO, I DO NOT WANT TO BE A TEACHER.

In fact, I started college as an elementary Ed. major and switched to a plain old English degree after one semester because I disliked the education classes so much. It's just not for me. And working at a school has only strengthened my conviction that being a classroom teacher is not a good idea for me.

It has also given me a great gratitude for real teachers. I honestly do not know how they do it, but I'm so, so glad they do.

That said, I'm teaching this week because our 4/5/6 teacher is sick. I was her substitute yesterday, and will be again today. There are only 11 students in her room, but that's one of the bigger groups at our school, and there are unique challenges to dealing with three different classes of students in one room. To say nothing of the individual needs of each student within those three classes.


Personally, I find teaching three different math lessons within two hours to be the most challenging.

So that's where I'll be today: Pretending to be a teacher, and once again mentally thanking all real teachers for their choice to fill such a demanding role.

Or maybe actually thanking all real teachers, because I know at least some of you are real teachers. If you are: Thank you. You are so appreciated.

Also, what's your best classroom management tip? I can use all the help I can get.

4 comments:

mbmom11 said...

Propinquity - circulate among the students to help keep lively spirits from getting out of hand. Enlist them to help run errands, pass out papers, etc. Listen to them- often they'll know the routine and help keep the class rolling.
And an extra 5 min recess/ walk outside to get the wiggles out can't hurt ( my kids 2nd grade teacher uses this to great effect.)

Susan in Dallas said...

I bet you are a GREAT teacher! 30 year veteran elementary teacher's best advice, " Don't take it personally" when things aren't going as you planned. What the students benefit from is you caring about them. I found this put them at ease and better able to learn.

Anonymous said...

Remember: You can't really break anything! And, students love it when you admit that you screwed up and you say "Oops." Mary in MN (45 years on the job).

Gemma's person said...

I still have the smirk on my face at your statement...louder for the people in the back..... tickles me.