Friday, July 18, 2008

Let Me Eat Cake

It's Friday! Let's talk about baked goods.

I believe that the general populace can be neatly classified into "pie people" or "cake people." There may be some who swing both ways, but most people have a stronger preference for one over the other.

A. and the MiL are pie people. I am a cake person. The two warring factions can co-exist peaceably, as long as there is always ice cream to go on pie to make it more palatable for the cake person.

Because the MiL is a pie person, and also the undisputed pie-making master, she doesn't often make cake. Also, she can't eat cake because of a wheat intolerance. So if I want cake, I usually have to make it myself. I pretty much always want cake, but I rarely make one because 1) I don't really like to bake, and 2) I will hog the cake and eat the whole thing in two days if left unsupervised. This is not so good for my girlish figure. Therefore, cake is a rare event in this house.

But I've been craving something lemony recently, and we had all those nice blueberries. I read all your suggestions for a fabulous fresh blueberry pie, and I said, "Pfffftt--pie. I'm making a cake. Take that, pie people!" (I didn't really say that.)

So I made a Blueberry Lemon Cake. Not a very original name, but YUM YUM YUM.



It's got eggs! And lemons! And blueberries! It's practically health food!


Also for your Friday amusement, this morning when I took two coffee mugs out of the cabinet for A. and me, I grabbed the sheep mug and the collie mug. Then I put them on the counter together and pretended the collie mug was herding the sheep mug to safety.


You've saved the flock, Lassie! Good girl!

Have a fabulous weekend, secure in the knowledge that you are much, much cooler than I am.

9 comments:

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Herding? That dog is licking his chops.

Oh, and a note on the blueberries. If you only mix half of them into the batter, then press the other half into the top after it's in the pan, when they sink in during baking they won't all end up at the bottom.

SaraPMcC said...

Kristin's great! She made us lemon cake!

I'm a cake person, too. Oh, don't get me wrong; I'll eat pie (I'm a slob like that). But I prefer cake. And I also don't make cake very often because I don't like to bake and I'll eat it all in a day or so. (Same reason I don't make brownies too often, although brownies are my favorite. I guess I'm a brownie person.)

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Hello! Those blueberries are not even all on the bottom! I followed the directions in the recipe I had to freeze the berries and then coat them in flour. I think it worked pretty well. But apparently, the cooking guru disagrees. Maybe next time I'll try your method, though, as it doesn't require freezing first.

I think brownie people and cake people are pretty much the same. But if forced to choose, I would actually go with brownies too. I could eat an entire pan of brownies by myself in about a day. I might feel sick, but I'd do it anyway.

I think I have a problem.

It's me said...

Looks delicious! And me with a bucket o'blueberries. Hmmmmm.

Although I'm not a real sweet eater. Salt, fat & alcohol... that's my poison.

Tina Post said...

Oh dear, you're a cake person? How awful for you to have married into an exclusively pie-person family! Next time there's an occasion, I shall bake you a cake. Although I have no idea how it will turn out, owing to the fact that I'm a pie person and never ever bake cakes.

If I were you, I'd find a way to mention your cake-personness to Johanna Batman, who is, I believe, that rare, special pie-and-cake person--a baker through and through.

SaraPMcC said...

Kristin, you are most definitely a brownie person. And I was going to say that brownie people and cake people are probably the same because those baked goods are similar. And I want some brownies. NOW!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, i'm not a pie person nor a cake person. I'm an oddball that likes raw cookie dough or raw browning mix. Although if it HAS to be cooked then i am a cake/brownie person.

me again said...

Mmmmmmm. Cake. Oh, I like pie a heckuva lot too, but cake is the treat for me. Dammit, now I think I have to go heat up the kitchen and bake..........

krysta said...

i like it all but i'm a pig.