Thursday, July 17, 2008

Ooo, That Smell*

Okay, so this post is a little bizarre, but I don't think anyone expects me to be very conventional anymore, right? Would you still be reading here if you were looking for stories from Dilbert-land (that part of my life is over, I hope, and thank God) or descriptions of my shoes (ugly, yet serviceable)? Didn't think so.

Onward with the topic at hand, which is . . . smells. Or, to be more delicate about it, scents. This topic presented itself (and isn't that lucky for you!) as I was working in the garden, inhaling the absolutely divine fragrance of the tomato plants. Not the tomatoes themselves, but the plants. That smell seems to me to be the scent equivalent of the color green. If you have no idea what I'm talking about (and I'm sure at least one of you is thinking, "Are you sure tomato plants are all you're sniffing, crazy lady?"), smell the vine part of the tomatoes on the vine at the supermarket. You'll get a faint idea of what I'm sniffing while I stake tomatoes in the garden. Tell the produce dude that you're getting high on life if he asks what you're doing. Then run away before he calls security.

The other scent that I was sniffing the other day with the avidity of the dog in the Beggin' Strips commercial (Bacon! I SMELL BACON! NOOO!! I CAN'T REEEEAD!!!--cracks me up every time) was basil. I do so love the smell of fresh basil. That is an incredibly penetrating scent. I could smell it in the dining room after the MiL had picked some and brought it inside for her lunch. It's so wonderfully spicy. The smell of it makes me consider that basil ice cream, an idea that seems repellent at first thought, might not be so bad.

And then, of course, there's the plebeian smell of garlic and shallots, both of which I have harvested in the past few days and which my hands still retain a faint odor of. I could almost smell them simmering in oil. Is there any more comforting smell in the world than garlic or onions cooking in oil?

There is also the unmistakable and disgusting stench of skunk, which woke me up last night and is now permeating the entire house because of the open windows. Gross. Maybe I'll walk around with a tomato vine under my nose all day.


Right, I think I've droned on enough about a topic that is weird at best and at worst, incredibly boring. What can I say? It's Thursday, nothing exciting has happened recently (well, there was another BAAAAAT in the house, but only the MiL saw it, so it wasn't really the next episode in "BAAAATS: A Blackrock Miniseries"), and these are the things I think about.

My mind--it's a strange, lonely place.


* Name that band, kids!

8 comments:

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Lynyrd Skynyrd: Ooooh that smell
Cant you smell that smell.....

I know what that tomato plant smell you were talking about. I too love that smell and the basil smell. Which reminds me, I need to bring some basil to work so I can sniff it all day long. :)

SaraPMcC said...

I would try some basil ice cream. Fresh basil has one of the best fragrances in the world.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the smell of tomato plants - it immediately brings to mind the taste of a home-grown tomato. Fresh basil is also divine.

Now I'm so hungry for a tomato-basil-mozzarella panini that I could cry.

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

"Is there any more comforting smell in the world than garlic or onions cooking in oil?"

Of course there is: Garlic and onions cooking in oil. Oh wait, cooking in bacon fat. Yeah, that'll do it.

And speaking of basil ice cream: http://www.threepanelsoul.com/view.php?date=2008-06-17

coffee and queso said...

how i love the smell of green! tomato vines, grass, yum! it's kind of like the way i can occasionally be spotted sniffing print in the bookstores...

don't pretend like you haven't noticed the many delicious varieties of ink scent! sweet, like the paint-with-water books we painted as kids; sharp and dusty, like the print in the test booklets or certain smaller presses for comics and children's picture books...

Or is it just me?

It's me said...

Yup, count me in on tomato plants.

And horses. I don't have 'em and won't ride 'em anymore, but they still smell good.

OK... now this is weirder than weird, but since I'm in such weird company: when I was a little kid we used to drive to my grandma's house and pass a feedlot. (Yes, start cringing). There is something about a feedlot (the old fashioned kind) that smells wonderful to me. I know I'm not describing it right, 'cause all you're thinking is "She likes the smell of cow crap?" but unless they're green, feedlots bring back a lot of memories.

OK, weird moment over with. Did I mention I like the smell of bacon? That's normal, isn't it?

moi said...

Thank you for the Beggin' commercial. There was a newer one on the other day and I was so dissappointed he didn't yell "I can't reeead"...'cause I was waiting to yell with him. Then laugh idiotically....

Bummer about the skunk. That'll kill a brain cell or two.

krysta said...

song stuck in my head all day now... thanks.