Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Way We Live*

Sometimes, what with all the gardens and the animals and the never-ending work on the mini-farm, we forget we live on the lake. That we, in fact, have our very own beach. We don't use it as often as we probably should, because of the aforementioned gardens and animals and work. But we did go down there last night. And this is what we saw:



I think we should go down to the beach more often.

* I'll try to explain the family joke here . . . whenever we are enjoying something that we may take for granted but would be considered special by other people--like our beach, extraordinary food, the view from our front porch-- we'll wave our hands airily and comment in our best snooty voices, "It's just the way we live."

Why don't family jokes ever sound funny when you try to explain them?

3 comments:

It's me said...

Beautiful!

When I hear lake, I don't think of a body of water that big. It looks huge! Is this a 'great lake'? 'Cause that's the only thing I can thing of where you can't see the other side.

PS...husband calibrating/testing the pressure canner gauge as we speak. :)

Kristin @ Going Country said...

No, it's not a "great lake," just a wide lake. You can actually see to the other side, just not in the photo because it's kind of dark--I think it's about four miles wide, and we're right at the widest point.

Good luck with your canning! I did more mulberry juice today with our shiny new pressure canner. One of my jars broke in the canner, which sucked, but otherwise, all was well.

coffee and queso said...

wow; that's fantastic! hm. my views are of the windowless side of a church built in the late 70's (ugly!!) and my landlord's garage apartment. at least we have a nice big oak in the front and one fledgling cantaloupe growing the garden in back!

so, yes! go visit your beach more often. ;)