Monday, July 14, 2008

This Is What Happened

Just another boring Sunday at Blackrock . . .

First, I harvested this:


Shallots. Lots and lots of shallots, with more still in the garden. You think I went a little overboard on the shallots this year?

Then, I canned this:


There should have been 6 quarts of mulberry juice in this photo. One jar broke in the canning process. Let us observe a moment of silence for the lost quart.

Using this:



Shiny! New! Less likely to explode and ridiculously large! Meet the new pressure canner.

Then, A. bought these:


Introducing Cleo, Milly, and Tilly's butt. The exorcism has been performed. I think we're safe.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

EEE! Not Pets! My favorite!

Of course, I am a bit surprised (perhaps even disappointed?) that you did not christen one of them "Mint Jelly." You're not getting attached, are you?

SaraPMcC said...

What are you going to do with all those shallots?

It's me said...

The pressure gauge calibration was a bust. Did you check yours before you started? At one of the extension offices or something?

'Cause it's one more week that I didn't do anything worthwhile. :(

Yummy... sheep.

Tina Post said...

You give your not pets awfully sweet names. I'm going to want/need wool eventually. Perhaps eventually a sheep of my very own, who will be known far and wide as "Not Food." Perhaps Adam would be willing to help us shop for said sheep? (Alliteration, anyone?)

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Relax, y'all. You can put these in the category of Semi-pets. Meaning they aren't allowed in the house, but they won't be eaten, either. Not yet, anyway. They're all ewes, which means breeders, which means they are spared the freezer fate. Only the males are worthless. I could make a very mean sexist joke here, but I think you can all supply it yourselves.

Nope, didn't check the pressure gauge--just went ahead and used it. I'm a rebel like that.

Roger A. Post said...

It appears that Big Red successfully transported the new sheep to the homestead. This contrasts with the time A.'s uncle lost a load of hogs from his pickup in the city, and the boys in blue had to assist in the roundup!

Anonymous said...

Maybe you could do a primer on canning? I"m not kidding. Have always wanted to do it . . . have always been afraid. But I mean, I have a canning closet in my basement for Pete's sake. How can I not can?

Mayberry Magpie