Thursday, October 9, 2008

Questions, Answers, and Photos

I'm thinking it would be nice to vary the Q&A a little bit. So today, while I will answer some of the questions, I will also be throwing in photos and other randomness at intervals. I KNOW--how wild and crazy am I?

So, question first:

If you had a day without Blackrock and all its worries and cares . . .what would you do for the day?

First of all, Krysta, you don't mind that I edited your question, do you? That's not how you wrote it, and I wish I could be that free and easy, but my inner proofreader comes out and I just can't bear to leave it alone. I'm sorry if I've offended you, but these are just things you have to learn to accept about me. And love, if possible.

Christ, how about we move on to the actual answer.

I have a hard time imagining a day without Blackrock. Like, I wouldn't have to do anything here? Well, if I didn't have to get up in the morning to make A.'s breakfast and lunch, and let the animals out, I probably . . . wouldn't get up. Until maybe 8 a.m. My God, the indulgence. And then, I'd . . . umm . . . Okay, this is hard. How sad is it that I'm having a hard time thinking of what I want to do? I guess I'd probably get dressed in Off-the-Property Clothes, maybe even wear jewelry (I KNOW--lame), and drive to The City. Where I would go to a movie (I love movies, but never go), eat lunch at an ethnic restaurant--Thai, preferably--and get a massage. Then I would eat dinner out, too. What's really sad is that I could do this anytime I wanted really, I just feel bad indulging myself this way. Like, everyone else is at work, so I shouldn't be playing hooky. Damn that Catholic guilt, anyway.

We interrupt this regularly scheduled Q&A to bring you . . . potatoes.

Wanna see how many potatoes we got out of that one row last weekend? Sure you do.



ONE ROW. Do you understand my fear of the potatoes now?

And now, back to your regularly scheduled Q&A.

What five books/movies/CDs would you bring with you if you were stranded on an island?

Now Drew just HAD to be clever and answer this himself in the comments, despite the fact that I clearly stated this is all about ME. Have you learned nothing in your reading of this site, Drew?

Okay, so I'm assuming a couple of things here. I'm assuming the question is really if I couldn't get off the island, what books/movies/CDs would entertain me for the rest of my life. And also, I'm assuming you meant five total, not five of each. This is a really hard question, by the way.

Movie: The Princess Bride; Books: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Farmer Boy; CDs: Classic Queen, Otis Redding's Greatest Hits

But I want to take lots more, and I could change that list a million times.

Okay, BREAK!

And now, Produce as Art. I call this "Accidental Still Life."


Stop and smell the apples.

Accidental because I didn't arrange this stuff like this, I just dumped it on the table and noticed later how pretty it was. Don't you just love it when that happens?

I'll answer the last of the questions tomorrow. This is your last chance to ask more before the end of the Q&A. So get on the stick!*

*That is a really dirty expression.

6 comments:

mitsy said...

I SO live vicariously through you. Question #1) Does A. ever get jealous that you get to stay home all day while he must work for THE MAN? Now, I know you're working just as hard, but I'll take homesteading work ANYDAY over corporate BS. Question #2) Are you planning on ever getting goats? Then you could make goat cheese. Not that it sounds like you need any more to do, but still, GOAT CHEESE. Yum.

Anonymous said...

Do you have bat problems in the winter--do bats hibernate or go south with the birdies! So when you go down to the Pit of Despair do you have to fight the bats for the food! Mary in MN

jean said...

So what do you plan to make with all those potatoes? Soup comes to mind but that won't make a small dent in your first row of harvest. Lots of baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, fries, umm, what else?

Anonymous said...

Even with A's help that's a boat load of work! I feel your pain and aversion to the potato patch. After seeing the garden, I never would have believed that many potatoes could come from just one row.

mil said...

What the picture of the potatoes does not reveal is the SIZE of some of them. The larger ones are the equivalent of four average grocery store potatoes. We really should have given something to make it easier to judge the size--like a football--

Anonymous said...

Holy Moly!! That's a lot of potatoes! hmmm what does one do with that many potatoes?? I know many will save for a while, but not for a year.. do you can them? freeze them? what!LOL
Jean