Saturday, November 22, 2008

Escapism

On a day like today, when it's in the low twenties outside and maybe 35 degrees in our bedroom, the sideways snow is blowing, and we're expected to get 6-12 inches before the end of the day, it's nice to have a memory of a warm, pleasant day to dream about as I huddle by the woodstove.

The last nice day we had was about a week ago. It was 65 degrees and sunny, and I was outside raking leaves. I raked up several piles, then went to get the trash can to stuff the leaves in for transport to the compost heap. When I returned, I found that Mia had discovered the piles and was very pleased that I had thought to make so many comfy beds for her.


Surely you didn't expect the Princess to sleep on that nasty hard GROUND, did you?

Alas, that bright day when I was so warm I had to take my sweater off is but a distant memory now. There will be no more shedding of layers. From here on out, I'll be piling them on.

Suddenly, winter seems to stretch into eternity . . .

7 comments:

Chiot's Run said...

Looks like we were doing the same thing last week. My puppy was also enjoying it.

Check it out: http://chiotsrun.com/2008/11/14/a-fun-day-outside/

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhh, snow. I'm not quite ready for it here, yet, but I can't help but feel all snuggly-romantic at the mention of it.

I know all about the 35-degree house, though, what with my rambling, drafty, house. It's 30 degrees in Mayberry this morning and I'm sitting on my sofa with three layers of clothes on.

Susan said...

You're such a good dog mom! With a beeeyoooootiful dog!

Anonymous said...

It's snowing here, too, but not expected to stick. Somehow I'm just not ready for it this year.

SaraPMcC said...

We haven't had any snow yet, but it is really cold outside. I took a walk a few hours ago, and not only was it 25 degrees (at most), but it was also super windy. My thighs are still thawing out. Note to self: Next time, wear two pairs of pants.

jean said...

Isn't hard to believe that just last weekend it was so warm? I was even threatening to put on the AC. Now it is 22 degrees out side and the wind is howling. We haven't seen any snow yet and I'm getting cranky. If it's going to be this cold we should be getting snow. Lots of it. Stay warm.

Kay said...

I hear you on that cold bedroom. No heat in ours either. Cozy snuggled under layers of quilts and with flannel sheets, but at some point the layers start to sufficate and my nose still freezes, so about January we'll head down to the heated basement guest room.
And in July we do the same to enjoy the A/C down there.

Oh the joys of an old farm house full of character. :o)

PS Mia reminds me of my much loved, now departed Phoebe (a Sheltie)