Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Full Circle

Way back in the spring, I showed you a salad of lettuce and radishes from our garden. And not just because it was so pretty (although it was), but because that salad was the first of our garden produce and signaled the beginning of my complete spurning of the produce section at the grocery store. I just love it when I can spurn the produce section at the grocery store.

In a pleasing bit of symmetry, last night we had a meal that used some of the last of the produce pulled straight from the garden. Six months almost to the day from that salad of lettuce and radishes in May, and last night's meal included . . .



Did you see this one coming?

These came from a fall planting we did in late September. We might get a few more things out of the garden--collards, celery root, maybe some spinach if we're very, very lucky. And of course, there's all the stuff that's been canned and stored. I still haven't had to buy anything from the produce department at the grocery store. Well, except lemons and limes, but I consider those necessary purchases, because we can't grow them and we NEED them for our cocktails. Priorities, please.

But for the most part, the garden is pretty much finished for the season. It's a little bit of a relief, in a way, because of all the work associated with it. But it's also scary. Because now I have to venture into the produce section and purchase vegetables. With money. And instead of walking out my door 20 feet and picking them, I'll have to drive an hour round-trip to get them. And I won't know where they came from. And they won't be mine.

I don't know if I can handle this.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always freak out over the knowledge that any produce I buy at the store has already been manhandled by a bunch of shoppers before me. YAY. And GROSS.

I am totally in awe of that salad.

Allison said...

I went to a restaurant last night that grows their own produce. They offered a special of a "radish plate" for $4.50 as a starter. I couldn't resist seeing what they were going to come up with. It was...a plate of radishes. Ha! Greenery and all. I had to hunt for the actual radishes. And that's all it was. About 8 radishes, with some sea salt for dipping and some kind of aioli dipping sauce.

SaraPMcC said...

Driving that far for second-rate produce sounds awful. So does the fact that everyone is touching all that produce in the store before you get there. I'm scared of germs.

Sweet Bird said...

You must make all those locavores drool with envy.

mitsy said...

I hate shopping for produce. I need to get my ass in gear and actually plant a garden next year. Needless to say, this is very inspirational.

Susan said...

I'm grieving for you. I am so impressed with what you and A. do and how self-sufficient you are. You know what might have been great on that salad? Fried frog legs via the cistern frog. But I'm Southern so that might appeal only to me...

FinnyKnits said...

I just died a little bit knowing that you were going to have to buy produce at The Store.

The idea makes me sad.

Perhaps now is a good time to see how long you can exist on home frozen and canned vegetables?

Not to be mean, but I'll think of you as I eat my winter greens. Just 30 days to arugula.

Anonymous said...

I feel the very same...it makes me go "bleck" thinking of all the hands that have touched the stuff in the grocery store. I just try not to think about it and dream of spring!