Saturday, December 27, 2008

A Little Story on the Day of My Birth

On this day 29 years ago, my mother was three weeks past her due date. I should imagine she was really sick and damn tired of being pregnant. In fact, she was so sick of it that she went for a bike ride on December 27th, because her doctor had said exercise could induce labor. I can't imagine balancing a 43-week-pregnant body on a bicycle, but she did. And she went into labor.

Unfortunately, my father, who was in the Air Force at the time, was on night duty at the base. He was not free to leave his post. But he did anyway. When he got the phone call, he raced over to his commanding officer and told him he was leaving. Yup, my dad went AWOL for me (he was not disciplined for it that I know of).

He did not go AWOL in time to get home and drive my mom to the hospital, however. That task fell to my mother's father, Holy (of Burned Cabbage fame). Duchess and Holy had come to spend Christmas in Sacramento, CA, with the family and see the new baby. The new baby who had so far proved to be a stubborn pain in the ass (a bit of foreshadowing for the rest of the child's life, perhaps?) and ruined plans for a nice Christmas with the new wee one.

BUT ANYWAY.

Duchess had to stay home with the two small children already in residence, and Holy had to drive his very pregnant daughter to the hospital. In a strange city. In a strange car. And just to make it more nerve-wracking, in the middle of dense fog. Do you know how comfortable native New Orleanians are driving in any kind of weather except maybe rain? Especially when they don't know where the hell they're going and their daughter is in labor in the passenger seat?

Yeah.

But he got her there. I don't think Holy had ever been so relieved to see a person as he was to see my dad when he finally arrived. And around 11:30 p.m., I was born.

The rest, as they say, is history.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Julie

Chiot's Run said...

That's a great story.

Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Enjoy the not-cooking and the not-doing-dishes!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Great story! I, too, was born 3 weeks late and ruined my grandparent's plans to see me born (which they had come up from CA to be a part of). Lol. Whoops.

Have a wonderful birthday day!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! May you have many years of stubborn enjoyment of the oddities and strangenesses often found in life, and may your wonderful witty and WRY (ha!Got a 3rd one in, how cool...but this isn't about me, now is it??)...yes, wry sense of humor always be at your side. Gotta say, I love the blog... and yes, I'm sad to say, often I simply lurk for the pleasure of laughter. I used to live even further north in NY than you, having about 8 hours to get to The City, and sometimes... what you say... I laugh until I almost pee my pants! You go! And thank you!!

Susan said...

Spectacular entrance for a spectacular person. Happy birthday!

Susan said...

Happy Birthday, you! You do so much for others through this blog. I hope it's repaid in spades on this glorious day that is yours!!!

Sweet Bird said...

Happy Belated Birthday!

krysta said...

happy birthday!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRFDAY, GIRL! I'm sorry I missed the actual day - I have been offline (meaning: in pajamas and eating cookies) for a solid week now. Here's to Capricorns!

FinnyKnits said...

A very happy, albeit belated, birthday to you. Your pressie should arrive soon!

Also, nice job being a PITA from birth. I'll imagine you're worth it.