Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Oh, Right--There's This HOLIDAY Coming Up

So here I've been blathering on about snow and cold (I took a reading of 28 degrees in the north bedroom this morning--wheee!) and TOTALLY IGNORING this tiny little holiday that all of the sudden is THIS THURSDAY. How did that happen?

I don't really make a huge deal out of Christmas. I don't spend hours beforehand running around buying numerous gifts, because I only give one gift to immediate family members. A gift I either make (meaning food--lots of people are getting canned pears, spaghetti sauce, salsa, etc. this year) or buy at a real store in the Small City. No shopping online. I don't like to bake, and I don't need to because the MiL has been churning out bread and cookies enough for us both. Or so I tell myself. I don't go to a lot of parties, because I'm a reclusive freak*. I'm not religious, so I don't have a lot of church obligations. A. will be working both the day before and the day after Christmas, which means those will be days pretty much like any other.

But I know that a lot of you are running around like crazy people, whirling like dervishes and possibly ready to just run away to Egypt until January. Or maybe just spike your eggnog so heavily with rum that you won't CARE if you didn't get that last dozen sugar cookies decorated. Which brings me to The Question: Are you ready for The Day?

* Except I DID go to a cookie-baking gathering at a friend's house yesterday (hi, Alyssa!), where I basically sat on a bar stool and watched four other women race around the kitchen while I ate guacamole and made sure the small child in our midst didn't eat the five-pound bag of chocolate chips or do a face-plant onto the hot stove burner. That was pretty fun. Mostly because I didn't do a damn thing and just got to watch OTHER people work in the kitchen. How novel.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess it helps to have eight days to give people gifts! Sort of. I don't really buy too many things these days, and I actually forgot that my cousins are coming on Friday; I didn't get anything for their kids like I was going to. Maybe they'll be gone by the time we light candles. Except that others will have gotten them gifts. Crap. Guess I'm not ready.

moi said...

Actually, I cheated this year by taking random days off thru December, so I'm all done. I also work Wed, Fri and Sat, and we're not celebrating until Saturday anyway, so it's all very relaxed overall. I think I'm one of the lucky ones..

It's me said...

We don't do much with the young'uns outta the house. I have one gift left for husband, but I refuse to pay what they're asking so I may give him a raincheck and pick it up next week.

Also, we're going to be snowmobiling on Christmas day. wooo hooo! We're empty nesters! :)

FinnyKnits said...

I bought the bourbon, so I think my Christmas shopping is done.

:)

Anonymous said...

I am as ready as I'm ever gonna be. Just wasn't my usual jolly self this year so decorations were kept to a minimum. Most gifts were homemade...oh wait I do still have one present to finish and that is hubby's. Other than that I'm done, or just don't care to finish...not sure which! Kim