Sunday, December 7, 2008

The Morning After

There is only one possible topic for today's post: The Party. Oh, the Party. An event so large and impressive, it deserves a capital letter.

I think I sat down maybe twice yesterday between 9 a.m. and 8 p.m. First, while the MiL did all the cooking, there was the set up. Moving furniture. Setting out chairs. Vacuuming. Hauling out all the serving platters, punch cups, wine glasses, and silverware we possess (and we possess a shitload of such things) and laying it all out as neatly and elegantly as possible.



We have a punch bowl. On a pedestal. It's okay to be jealous.


Sweeping the porch. Putting up tables. Setting out the beer in symmetrical, orderly rows and finding places for the Pellegrino, soda, and cider.


Further evidence of OCD, yes, but also, an impressive quantity of beer.

Then I managed to throw on my dress and heels half an hour before the party started and race back downstairs to make the Fish House Punch. Which includes a full bottle of light rum, a full bottle of dark rum, a full bottle of brandy, and a full bottle of peach brandy. Plus lemon juice, simple syrup, and water. It tastes like juice and has the intoxicating power of grain alcohol.

You would have wanted to come to this party.

Then the guests arrived. And arrived and arrived and arrived. I took coats and bottles of wine and gifts for the hostess (that would be the MiL, not me--no presents for me. But I'm claiming some of the wine, dammit.) and repeated over and over and over, "Hi, I'm Kristin. I'm the MiL's daughter-in-law." Then I directed them all towards the booze. The MiL had made enough food to feed a regiment, and that's about what showed up. We didn't take a head count or anything, but there were almost a hundred people in the house at one point. And I was threading through them with empty bottles, cups, and glasses on a tray. In heels. It's a miracle I didn't break anything.

All the punch was consumed, dozens of bottles of wine were emptied, the food was almost finished entirely, and everyone had a wonderful time. It was a very successful party. And the current state of our house is ample evidence of that.

If anyone feels like coming to help clean up, I'll pay you in leftover onion dip and beer.

6 comments:

Sweet Bird said...

I think about a tablespoon of your punch would give me a hangover.

jean said...

That punch sounds great. So was this a holiday party, family and friends, town party or what? I can't imagine having 100 people over, no matter how big my house.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Jean: The MiL didn't plan on a hundred people. But almost nobody RSVP'd with regrets, and then some people wanted to bring OTHER people, and it just kind of . . . grew. It was family, friends, co-workers, and people from the village. And possibly some people who just wandered in, because with that many people, who would notice?

MsPicketToYou said...

i like the way you roll in Black Rock. see you next year! I'll bring my own mug.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE a big party! I love lined up bottles of beer and huge platters and punch bowls. It sounded divine.

But, seriously, dude. Where are all the photos? Especially the one of you in a skirt and heels.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

I only have photos of the set-up; after that, I was too busy for the camera. And no one got any photos of me. But if it helps you visualize, I was wearing a black and red wrap dress with knee-high, high-heeled black boots. My hair (long, very dark, and very curly) was down. The MiL's friend said I looked like the Gypsy Queen. Whatever THAT means.