Friday, December 12, 2008

I Can't Think of a Clever Title About Snow

You can just insert your own clever title up there. Thank you.

The last week or so has been pretty depressing, weather-wise. Bitter cold, then freakishly warm. Rain, then sleet, then some gloppy snow. And always, always, always a cloudy gray sky, with no hint of sunshine to be seen. Our Vitamin D levels are sinking rapidly.

Personally, I see no point to cold weather and gray skies if it's not going to snow. Snow makes everything look so much better. It covers up the dreary dead grass and muddy patches. It coats the bare, leafless branches of trees in a nice layer of sparkly fluff. The dogs get stupidly excited and bound through it, scooping up mouthfuls of snow occasionally and generally making idiots of themselves. It doesn't make the chickens so happy, but tough noogies.

It finally snowed a significant amount last night. Just a few inches, but that's enough to cover the ugly and make everything more aesthetically pleasing.

A woodchuck winter wonderland.

And because I don't have to drive anywhere in it (not that I could, as my car is currently out of commission, but we won't talk about that), I can just enjoy it from inside the house. Next to the woodstove.

Well, until I have to go shovel out the woodpile to re-stock the wood. Even snow has its drawbacks.

Are you a snow bunny, or does the very thought of snow make you shiver and consider relocating to L.A.?

11 comments:

Leslie said...

I'm an Arizona girl through and through. Gone are the t-shirt and shorts days...

Anonymous said...

As long as I don't have to drive, snow is just fine. I used to really love it, but a back injury has slowed me down. Shoveling is no longer possible and playing not fun if you can't do much. But I do love looking out the window at all that white.

Sheila

Julie said...

The snow is fine in theory. I guess if the house was fully stocked (liquor) and I didn't have to go anywhere till it was all gone, it might be fun. Oh yeah, and the pipes didn't freeze etc etc

Anonymous said...

I saw on the Weather Channel (which I watch every morning, like a giant nerd) that upstate NY had gotten a lot of snow. I generally love the snow (especially if I am housebound when it falls). But when snow falls in late March or early April? GRRR.

Anonymous said...

I love snow...tons of it. To bad for me I live where the only thing we get lots of is rain, sigh. I was raised over on the Eastern Side of Washington State where we did see lots of snow. Never the heavy wet stuff but the powdered sugar kind that squeaked under your feet when you walked in it. Ohhh I miss that!

Sweet Bird said...

It's cold. It's wet. Two things I don't enjoy being. Blech

Chiot's Run said...

I always love snow in the winter. I would love to have it all winter long. It makes it much more bearable!

FinnyKnits said...

Of course, it doesn't snow here in the stupid Silicon Valley BUT, we love it so much, we commute for our snow. To Tahoe sometimes, but every year - to Colorado.

Where MAN ALIVE they have some awesome snow.

I love it. Bubba loves it. Even when we have to defy death to drive through it at night on frozen ice roads.

Anonymous said...

I live in the land of very little snow but was raised in the seriously snowy north country. Where we are when it snows an inch it turns the drivers into some seriously scary people. Like to look at the snow but if I have to go out I really would rather not.

MsPicketToYou said...

i love the snow. i figure there is no point is cold but for the snow.

the icestorm currently shutting down most of the state north of me? i don't dig ice.

Susan said...

I love the snow, as long as I can stay warm and dry. I spent a few years at a ski resort, where I was constantly astonished that people who didn't know how to ski would spend so much money being cold and wet and frustrated.