Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Book Larnin' on G.C.

Good morning, class! Does everyone know what day it is?

I can hear the smart-ass in the back of the (virtual) room going, "Tuesday." Snickersnickersnicker.

Yes, yes. You're all very smart. It is indeed Tuesday. It is also January 6. And does everyone know what that means? It means that Christmas is officially over.

What's that? You thought Christmas was one day in December? Well, that's wrong. In fact, Christmas Day is the beginning of the Twelve Days of Christmas (of partridge-in-a-pear-tree fame) that culminates on Epiphany. Which is today. Which is also known as the Adoration of the Magi, to celebrate the Three Kings (of rubber cigar fame). I've heard that some cultures exchange gifts on Epiphany. How has the relentless marketing machine of American consumerism missed this golden opportunity to guilt people into buying ever-more gifts? Shameful.

Some people hold to the tradition that Christmas decorations should come down on Epiphany. Some people also believe it is bad luck to have the decorations up after Epiphany. I guess that means I'll have bad luck, then, because I'm not going to be getting all our decorations down today.

And just to complete your January 6 education, I will close by saying that Shakespeare's play "Twelfth Night" takes its name from the twelfth night of Christmas, which is also known as Epiphany Eve.

You can all go and impress your co-workers with your knowledge now. Class dismissed.

7 comments:

Chiot's Run said...

I didn't even put up a tree inside this year. I'll be taking down my outdoor decor when it's warm enough!

Anonymous said...

Now hold on one minute...I thought Christmas decorations were to be down my St. Patty's day...Easter at the latest!

Anonymous said...

My tree came down the day after Christmas. Nanny,nanny, boo, boo!

(Sorry, I have so little to feel superior about -- must make hay over getting the decorations put away. Of course, that would be CHRISTMAS decorations. Two Halloween signs remained in my lawn until yesterday. How tragic is that?)

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

TUESDAY! (You're welcome.)

Oh, and for what it's worth inadvertantfarmer, it's St. Paddie's Day. Patty is a girl, Paddie is an Irish dude. I don't care myself, I'd just hate to see you go to the parade in Chicago someday and get it wrong and have the locals rough you up for it.

FinnyKnits said...

I will use this newfound knowledge to go scare my neighbors into taking down their decorations ALREADY.

GAH!

:)

krysta said...

i am learnt!

Marie said...

Thank you teacher !
And if I may add something... In France we actually celebrate the 6th of January, that we call "Epiphanie", by eating an almond pie, "la galette des rois" (the pie of the kings). It's a sweet tradition, in which the family member who finds - or swallows, or chokes with, or breaks their teeth with - a little statue in their piece of pie becomes the king or the queen, and must find their queen/king.
So, yes, about the decorations, they must stay until that date - we need the Magis to eat the pie.