Thursday, January 8, 2009

Ew

I took down all the Christmas decorations yesterday. (Only a day late--do you think I dodged the bad luck?)

The thing I hate most about packing all that stuff away--besides the inevitable depression that results when I realize the holidays and their cheer and bright lights are done with, leaving nothing but a grim stretch of winter months to be endured before spring--is the cleaning. Because, you see, the surfaces that I covered with cut evergreen boughs have not BEEN cleaned since I put the boughs there, lest I disturb the dried-out boughs and cause all the needles to fall off, a la Charlie Brown's Christmas tree--whoomp!

I decorated almost exactly a month ago. A month is a long time. Long enough for some serious filth to build up. Especially in the dining room, where the woodstove coats all surfaces in a layer of dust and ash. The accumulation of those layers over the last month, along with the webs spun by the industrious spiders who really like the warm dining room, meant that I was not so much wiping up dust as scrubbing away dirt. It was totally grody to the max.

I'm not a fanatical housekeeper or anything, but I was a little disturbed at the filth we'd been wallowing in for a month. The only benefit to cleaning something so gross is the resulting feeling of virtuousness. Blackrock affords many opportunities to experience that feeling, because I swear to God, our house gets dirtier faster than any other house I've ever been in. There are all the pets, yes, and tracking in mud and all, but I think the house just manufactures its own dirt.

BUT ANYWAY.

I managed to get everything put away, cleaned up, and shining like a new penny (not really on the penny part) downstairs. And it stayed that way for two whole hours, until pets came in, people came home, mail was deposited, and the cycle began anew.

I can't be the only one who really wishes for a maid.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you score major points for "grody to the max!" And no, you're not the only one who wishes for a maid. And I don't even have a house.

The Management said...

I was thinking that too, Sara!

Gotta say though, with a one bedroom apartment and our only pet being a fuzzy, furry, bunny rabbit, I still wish for a maid. Mostly because I can trash a kitchen like nobodies business. One meal and there are dishes stretched from end to end :)

Anonymous said...

I have a maid.

But here's the deal: she comes once a month. So I suppose she's not really a maid. But she cleans our house top to bottom, especially the grody to the max toilets. She came yesterday and Mr. Mom knows how much I savor my very special Wednesday once a month when I come home to a totally clean house. But a week later, it's filth again. Like you, we have too many animals, plus too many kids, plus 75-year-old windows that let in way too much dirt.

I have a friend in Mayberry, though, who has a real maid who comes for a couple of hours every single day. Makes the bed, unloads the dishwasher, etc. Must be nice. I dream of it.

OH MY GOD! I totally forgot. I have a stay-at-home husband. Sorry honey, but you know you're not a maid. You do great laundry and errands and kid-raisin', but scrubbing to my standard ain't really your bag.

Susan said...

Trout Towers is also the dirtiest house I've ever lived in. Dust bunnies and dirt appear hours after I've swept and mopped. I dream of a maid, but am settling for a new filter for the robot vacuum. We'll see how it goes.

FinnyKnits said...

I wished for a maid for a long time until I just decided I was my own genie and got one.

I love her very much and give her all my chard because she loves it. Which makes her extra lovable.

When she leaves, the dirt AND the chard are gone.

jean said...

A maid would be so nice. Just think, everything would be clean at the same time. Here, I get one room clean and move to the next only to find the first room dirty again. I don't mind cleaning the bathroom it's the dusting that kills me. Do you think I could hire someone just to dust?

Anonymous said...

I am so totally with ya on this one! I have a dog who I swear can put out enough hair for three dogs. It's shocking the amount she loses...she oughta be freakin' bald. And then there is the cat, who has the stickiest feline paws EVER! And I'm sorry, but I get the ews when the kitty litter is tracked everywhere - on the back of the sofa.... thank you, but NO!! So, I so get the maid thing... but, have to admit, I do like the wee beasties. Nothing like some fuzzy love, cold noses and all! Maybe I can train them to vaccum and dust??? Strategic shedding??