Friday, January 9, 2009

Still Girly, but Practical--Like Me!


Remember the new boots I bought months ago and was so excited about that I did a whole post about them? How lame of me.

Well, prepare yourselves for more lameness.

I've been contemplating getting some winter boots for awhile, because I don't have any. I've been wearing my waterproof hiking boots most of the time, and when the snow got really deep, I was wearing the rubber boots. Rubber boots are not the ideal snow boot. In fact, they pretty much blow in the snow (HAAA). They're freezing cold and have very little traction. So A. told me he was going to get me a pair of winter boots for my birthday* (along with a kick-ass Patsy Cline CD, which I've been listening to pretty much non-stop), but I told him not to buy them without me. Not that I don't trust him to pick out footwear for me, but . . . okay, I don't trust him to pick out footwear for me.

BUT ANYWAY.

The first place I looked was Sierra Trading Post, because they have a lot of rugged outdoor apparel for stupid cheap. Close-outs, or something. And wouldn't you know it, there, in the women's outdoor boot section, were Sorels. A. has a pair of Sorels and they are seriously rugged. They're also seriously expensive. I've coveted Sorels for some time, but never got any. But then I saw these at the STP site. And I saw that they were half off. And I saw that they were waterproof AND rated to twenty below zero. And I saw that while they were rugged, they were actually kind of cute.

So I bought them.

Happy birthday to me!

The fake fur at the top may prove to be a mistake--I can visualize it quickly becoming encrusted in mud and chicken shit--but I really like these boots. They look kind of girly and semi-stylish, so I won't feel ridiculous wearing them in The City, but they're not stupid pseudo-boots that will leave my feet cold and wet. AND, they have a zipper at the side, instead of laces. Laces seem particularly challenging to me for boots I have to get in and out of 20 times a day. The perfect marriage of Blackrock-required practicality and rest-of-the-world style.

I think it's love.

* This may have had something to do with him being sick of hearing me whine about how cold my damn feet are every time he drags me out with him to work on fences in the snow. And now I don't have any excuse to go inside and warm up by the fire. Methinks I have just outwitted myself.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Super-cute! I like.

Anonymous said...

Man, those are perfect. I'll have to check out that site.

Phoo-D said...

Sorels are the only way to go in deep snow. I've been trying to tell Mr. B he needs a pair for a while now. Yours are too cute! Mine are all black, clunky and ugly...though after 10 years they're still going strong.

Anonymous said...

You get what you pay for. I bought a cheap pair of winter boots last year, and I hate them. Snow gets in the top sometimes and they're a bit uncomfortable. So good work!

Sweet Bird said...

Those are pretty sweet boots. I do have to admit that I am rather happy I have no need for snow boots.

I hope to maintain that for very long time...

Allison said...

I went to the Sorels website and the tagline is "When Life Calls for Boots". Your life was definitely calling.

FinnyKnits said...

Supah cute - I like the faux fur - it'll keep your legs warm while you're out in your silly cold temps?

I just had footbeds put in my Sorels, which makes a world of difference. Now they are warm and rugged and fitted.

MsPicketToYou said...

i live in my sorrells on very icky days. blue with fur. sometimes hard to manage the gas pedal but awesome still years later. i mildly icky days I am in the uggs (i know gross) and lets just say that neither is sexy mama kind of thing but you know neither is my bedhead.

MsPicketToYou said...

and birthday? mine is sunday. send me eggs.

Anonymous said...

I have the same boots in black.They have been used a fair bit this winter and I am happy with them. Feel in black a little Mrs. Claus like.