Friday, February 27, 2009

Just In Time for Friday

It's Friday! Let's talk about liquor! Again.

A long time ago, I explained to you (with photos!) our lame and very trashy liquor storage system, involving cardboard boxes and the floor. Classy. But I ALSO mentioned at that time that my dad, the amateur carpenter extraordinaire, was working on a liquor cabinet for us. A liquor cabinet built to my very own specifications. My very own specifications being, of course, approximate measurements and the request that I be able to get my damn bottles off the floor, already. To all other questions involving design, type of wood, color of stain, and so on, I deferred to my dad's superior knowledge on the subject of wood furniture. Basically, I told him to use his own judgment and I'd be happy with whatever he came up with.

So he did. And I am. Check THIS bad boy out, y'all:


Woah, daddio

I KNOW. Is that not the most awesome liquor cabinet ever? It fits perfectly in the space I wanted it in. It has 18 slots for wine bottles (most of which are being used for liquor bottles at the moment, but whatever), it has a shelf for bottles, it has those little slotty racks for wine glasses . . . it has inlay. Look:

LOVE

The inlay is that strip of darker wood that runs around the edge, and the "V" in the middle. Those are small strips of wood that he cut out and fit together into a groove. But not just ANY wood. That's OUR wood. It came from a dead black walnut tree on our property that we cut down a few years ago. A. thought my dad might want some of the wood for his woodworking, so we shipped him some. And he used some of it in our liquor cabinet. Isn't that COOL? Yes, it is.

Somehow, although I grew up in a house with many pieces of furniture made by my father, I never really appreciated what a skilled and talented carpenter he is. But he is. His status is officially being upgraded from amateur carpenter extraordinaire to just carpenter extraordinaire, because there ain't nothin' amateur about this liquor cabinet.

Thanks, Dad. You done good.

12 comments:

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Remember when they used to pretend that the Olympics had "amateur" competitors? They reminded us every four years that "amateur" wasn't an insult. That it literally means someone who does something for the love of it.

Your dad is an Olympic carpenter.

me said...

That's just beautiful.

jean said...

Wow. Great work. And the inlay is perfect! Your Dad rocks.

Phoo-D said...

Gorgeous and functional! Love the black walnut inlay, that is one of my favorite woods.

Anonymous said...

LOVE it!

And I'm so glad the residents of Blackrock are finally taking proper care of their liquor. Now if you could just do something about those potatoes in the cellar.

Anonymous said...

Wow, nice job, Kristin's dad! I love it. And now your liquor bottles are off the floor. Now take them off the shelf and make everyone a drink. Right. Now.

Susan said...

What a beautiful and meaningful piece! I love that he used some of the wood from Blackrock. And I love the pottery bowls you have on top. Way to go Daddio!!

mil said...

Kristin's dad is clearly awesome. This is a wonderful piece of functional furniture.

If any of you noticed the rather odd-looking jar on the right side of the shelf, you must ask Kristin to explain why that actually belongs in the liquor cabinet.
(I think I'd better find her a better bottle--; I know, I'll finish off some of the single-malt).

It's me said...

The man has TALENT! Wow.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'll bite. Kristin, why does that rather odd-looking jar on the right side belong in the liquor cabinet?

Also - way to go, Kristin's dad! That is beautiful!

Also - my word verification is "storatio" which I find oddly fitting. Some joke or witty comment about the ratio of liquor bottles in the wine storage racks would be apropos, but I can't come up with the perfect bon mot.

FinnyKnits said...

CUH-lassy!

Your dad is a super ass-kicker and I love that he used wood from your old tree.

Now you can feel all Green and Recycle-y and Hug a Tree when you get hammered tonight.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Oh, I forgot to answer . . . that jar is an old honey jar that I used to hold mulberry liqueur. That I made in the mulberry juicing madness last summer by steeping crushed mulberries in brandy, and then adding sugar.