Monday, March 23, 2009

Another Announcement

I may as well come right out with it: I'm leaving you again.

I KNOW. I just got home, and there are STILL puppies and seeds sprouting and seeds to be planted and 101 damned Things To Do. But I have to go. And, conveniently enough, we can all blame lawyers for this unfortunate circumstance.

See, A. is a lawyer. Lawyers in New York State are required to complete a certain number of hours of Continuing Legal Education every year. This means you either go to about 12 lunch meetings in the course of a year, which in A.'s case would mean missing half a day of work for every one because none of them are nearby, OR you wait until the end of the allowable time and go to one long two-day conference in The City*. He went with option B. And I'm going with him.

We did this last year, and it was pretty fun. For me, anyway, since I got to tool around The City while he sat on his ass in a ballroom full of about 500 lawyers listening to some dude lecture about ethics or something. (Does that sound like hell, or what?) This year, however, neither one of us is really worked up about going. Because we just got home, and there's so much to be done at home, and it costs so much to go to The City. AND, just to make it MORE FUN, both of us have souvenir colds we picked up on our last trip. This is going to be a party, I can just tell.

However, duty calls. So I will be leaving tomorrow night and will be gone until late Thursday night. Since I don't have a laptop, and the likelihood of me stopping in an Internet cafe or something while I'm there is pretty much nil, you'll just have to do without your daily dose of Going Country for a couple of days. I know, you'll be bereft and inconsolable. And also pretty pissed about this interruption in Puppy Pictures, if past comments are any indication. I promise to post a photo tomorrow before I leave, so you'll have something to stare at for those couple of days.

And then, once I get home, I'M NEVER LEAVING AGAIN. Amen.

* In this state, The City always means New York City.

10 comments:

Susan said...

loosing. will. to. live.

(also, I have the longest word verification ever and will probably still be typing when you get back.)

Anonymous said...

Actually, I did know this! Why, you ask? Oh, only because I'm proofing this NYS Bar registration form, and I'm on the section entitled "Mandatory Continuing Legal Education." Really. Right now. So weird.

Susan said...

I hate that you're going away but hoping you'll have fun. I'm very jealous as I lurve The City. I'll be here with three children on spring break. yipee.

Anonymous said...

Wooooo! Have fun! Tagging along for spousal business trips to NYC is the way to go. All the fun, none of the hotel expense.

Chiot's Run said...

Have fun. I like to tag along with Mr Chiots when he had a job in the city. I usually head to the ethnic markets and other fun places.

jean said...

I think you should stay home and keep us posted. No? Oh well. Have fun in The City. You should have good weather.

FinnyKnits said...

Have fun in your The City. I hope you have nice weather like I did when I went into my The City (SF) on Friday.

And try to get better. It's no fun to have a cold on vacation. Maybe you need to drink extra gin. To kill the cooties, you know.

Anonymous said...

Dammit! My daughter and I are going to The City for a long weekend in April. How much fun would it have been to get together in The City? (A lot, that's how much.)

Daisy said...

I think you'll miss the puppies a lot more than we will!

The Country Experience said...

Well, yes, we'll miss the puppy pictures but you deserve a trip. Even another trip, such as this one. To prevent the madness of one such as Jack in "The Shining." So trip away!

Just please don't forget to leave a puppy pic before you go. ;)