Sunday, May 3, 2009

Can You Feel the Excitement?

I can! Because today is the day the garden really takes off. Oh sure, we've planted some random things--lettuce, peas, radishes--but today we'll actually till the whole thing (except what we've already planted, OBVIOUSLY) and start the real planting.

I love tilling. Well, I don't actually DO the tilling--I leave that to A.--but I love when the garden is tilled. It's like a blank slate. By the time we get to this point, there are already a shocking number of weeds in the garden. Then the tiller (and A.) comes along and just plows them all under, leaving us with lovely, loose, weed-free soil to plant in. Today I believe we will be planting some potatoes; corn; beets; some cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower plants the MiL bought; and maybe some tomatoes and eggplants if I feel like putting up the Walls o' Water.

That's a lot of planting. Luckily, reinforcements arrived yesterday in the form of my sister, who came for a short visit from Tucson. She naively told me I could put her to work. She really shouldn't have said that. Because I will. And I don't even feel that bad about it, because she told me yesterday that she had to lift a 90-pound dog at work (she's a veterinarian) that was seizuring. And then she ran down the hall with it in her arms. Damn. The women in my family are no delicate flowers.

Good thing, because there's a garden to be tilled and food to be planted. Let the garden madness begin. Wheee!

11 comments:

Aunt Krissy said...

send me your sister. I am going to weed the flower beds and already I'm feeling pooped and I have not even gotten dressed yet. How bad is that?

Anonymous said...

A vet. That is a lot of knowledge in one place. I'd be proud of her too. Yep, strong women. You guys rock.

Mayberry Magpie said...

You're working on Sunday -- during a family visit? Dang . . . you're hard core.

Me? I'm going to drink coffee and read and nap all day long. Of course, that's why I don't have homegrown veggie-goodness to partake of. (Of which to partake? I hate grammar!)

Phoo-D said...

Have fun! We just put our lettuce in yesterday so the big lifting is still ahead.

Tami bami wami said...

All this rain is good for your garden. Hope you got some armor to do battle with. *grin*

BTW: thanks for the explanation into chicken diet.

The Management said...

god, and i felt all accomplished for transplanting (as in, from the pots you buy at the store) one each of basil, rosemary, dill, chamomille, peppermint, spearmint, parsley, thyme, oregano, and a little lettuce for my container garden on the patio :P

jean said...

Wow, you are hard core. Any chance your sister would consider moving in with you?

rls said...

Um, I mowed the lawn today. A little wimpy suburban sized lawn. Yay me.

krysta said...

your sister is one tough chick. i packed.

Sweet Bird said...

Oh Kristin, I love you and your gardening dirty-talk.

I wish I could grow something this year.

Damn military...

Garden Pheenix said...

Girl after my own heart :cD

You ever try the no till (or no dig) method of garden beds? Supposed to make life a lot easier with significantly less weeds :c)