Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Age-old Question

No, not "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?" but "How do you like to eat your eggs?"

Can you tell I have a big fat nothing in my head to write about today? Yes. Which is why, of course, I put the onus on you to talk to me in the comments. And today, you're going to tell me about your egg preferences.

Because we know how to have a good time! With ovum.

Okay, so. As to MY egg requirements? WELL. I'm so glad you asked. Because I didn't used to like eggs. I didn't eat them. Or, when I did, they had to be scrambled and covered in a lot of ketchup. So they wouldn't taste like, uh, eggs. But slowly, over the years with A., who is an egg eater, I started to like having eggs for breakfast. And occasionally dinner. I even got to the point where I would eat them in non-scrambled form. Except I still require there be no runny yolk, ever, anywhere on my egg GROSS.

Which means that I now eat my eggs scrambled, hard-boiled (but only fresh--cold hard-boiled eggs make me gag), or fried with the yolk purposely broken and cooked all the way through. I know. I'm a rebel.

Incidentally, I still like to have some other flavoring with my eggs. I don't really like them plain. My current favorite for scrambled eggs is feta, dill, and chives. With fried eggs, I like to either cook a fresh tomato along with the egg (not that I have HAD a fresh tomato since last year, but soon!) or dump a heap of salsa on top.

I should also mention that after eating my own chickens' eggs, I have an aversion to store eggs and their pale, anemic yolks. But that has nothing to do with how I cook them.

And now, please entertain me with your thoughts on eggs. Scrambled, fried, poached (fancy-pants), hard-boiled, or too disgusting to be eaten in any form whatsoever except baked in a cake?

Update: After writing this, I went out to the garden to harvest my daily five pounds of cucumbers and decided to check on the progress of the first ripening tomato. It was ripe. And I ate it. And it was glorious.

20 comments:

mdvelazquez said...

I don't eat eggs often. When I do, absolutely no runny egg portions are allowed. I prefer scrambled with some other ingredients, which almost always include cheese. I will only eat sunnyside eggs if there is a slice of cheese laid over it.

Phoo-D said...

Congratulations on your tomato! I can't wait for mine to turn color. I like my eggs sunny side up on a piece of toast with bacon. Having a runny yolk is necessary so the toast can soak it up. Mmmm.... I'm right there with you on farm fresh eggs. Store bought can't compare.

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Do you realize you sound like a proud parent? "Ooh, my chickens produce such wonderful eggs I won't even eat those meager store-bought eggs any more. And my chickens are smarter and prettier, too."

Aunt Krissy said...

I like them in any form. I have been doing them fried,sunny side up and then laid on top of buttered toast. (lots of butter) and then you break the yolk. Then it's all yum yum from there.

Susan said...

Anything but fried. I have no idea why I'm fried-adverse, but I blame my mother. Seems safe.

CountryMidwife said...

Fried egg sandwich (no runny) with mayo on multigrain bread sprinkled with sea salt, dill and lemon pepper.

Though I make a mean omelette and some of the best include artichoke hearts spinach and feta or tomato and avocado with onion.

Anonymous said...

My husband butters a piece of bread, pokes a hole in the middle, fries it in the skillet, crackes the egg in the hole, flips it & serves it to our 4 teenage daughters who love it. They must have them every Saturday & they lovingly refer to them as "Daddy Eggs" Stacey, SWPA

The Management said...

I love eggs - all eggs - they make me happy. :)

I love a scramble...I love fried eggs..I love hard boiled eggs but my latest obsession has been soft-poached eggs with toast fingers :)

Mayberry Magpie said...

I'll eat 'em any way you serve 'em. Currently, I eat two hard-boiled every single weekday morning (for the last 10 years) and omelets on the weekend. But I also adore poached and fried over easy. Perhaps my favorite though is pickled in jalapeno juice. Don't knock 'em until you've tried 'em.

Daisy said...

I'm with you on the fresh eggs. I bought some organics from a shop nearby, and they still weren't nearly as good as the fresh eggs we buy from a small farmer. The farm is small; not the farmer. I cook them so many ways it would take up an entire post, more than a comment box!

FinnyKnits said...

Congrats on mawing your first tomato! And please don't disgrace it with any filthy eggs.

Amy said...

My favorite way to eat eggs is....fried...in HOT oil so the edges get 'lace'. Salt and pepper only. Yolk has to be runny. If it's on top of some home fries when the yolk starts leaking, all the better.

I've never been a big fan of scrambled. I'll eat it, but eh.

seth said...

I'm not fussy, I eat what i like.
Cook eggs anyway you want and I'll eat 'em.
Luv Deviled Eggs!!

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

I've got my first-ever batch pickling in the fridge as we speak. So how long do you need to let them soak before they're ready, anyone know?

And PS: I want to make devilled eggs from a couple when they're ready.

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Oh, and another PS ... fried and runny over hash browns is good, but even better is fried and runny over corned beef hash, with a ton of black pepper and a dash of Tobasco. Mmmmmm ...

Beth said...

I love eggs any way they are served except w/a runny yolk. Unless it's poached on top of crab or salmon cake w/Hollandaise.

But my favorite is a soft scrambled egg sandwich w/a sharp cheddar cheese and either sausage or bacon.

MsPicketToYou said...

sandwiched between cheap ham and cheap cheese in an english muffing delivered bedside. preferably with a chocolate shake.

moi said...

At home, the yolk can be runny. But, if I'm eating OUT, they must be cooked thru. Or it's groos. Odd, I know, considering we all use about the same eggs, but there you go.

Chiot's Run said...

I too have an aversion to any eggs that are not from the farm (not my farm, a friend's farm).

I like eggs in many forms (sadly I'm allergic so I can only eat them once a week or I'm covered in hives).

My most favorite and most often way to eat eggs is fried in some bacon grease in a cast iron skillet. I cook them slowly so they don't get tough, sometimes I throw a little water in the pan and cover it to partially steam them. I like my yolks runny as I can have them without having any white runny. MMMMM. I sprinkle on some salt & freshly ground black pepper and it's quite delightful for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Of course eggs are much better when accompanied by some thick bacon and some crusty toast to sop up all the yolk from the plate :)

Now I wish I had made eggs for breakfast.

sheila said...

I'll take eggs anyway I can get them. Eggnog even. I can deal with raw eggs in eggnog, but for some reason the whites have to be fully cooked in fried eggs or soft boiled eggs. Soft yolks are wonderful though. Souffle, omelet, deviled eggs, pickled eggs, let me count the ways I love eggs. Yum, I want some now. Duck eggs and quail eggs are good too. Only with eggs I've gotten from my own birds though, no store bought eggs for me. Factory farmed eggs look and taste awful.