Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Two Things that Have Nothing in Common

There is no "thread" in this post. No connecting idea, no segue, no coherence whatsoever in the two topics that are shooting out of my brain and onto the screen. Just so you know.

You'll all remember, I'm sure, that I ate The Tomato yesterday. The much-anticipated, long-desired First Ripe Tomato of the Season. And no, I did not share. I NEVER share The First Tomato. We even have house guests at the moment, and I ate The First Tomato right in front of them without offering them even a bite. And I didn't even feel bad.

You'd know how unusual that is for me if you understood my highly developed guilt complex and Compulsive Hostess Disorder (if you ever come to my house, just eat everything I try to force on you--it's easier that way).

BUT ANYWAY. So I ate The First Tomato. Then the MiL asked me what variety it was. And I couldn't really tell her. IRRITATING. It's irritating because we have about a dozen varieties of tomatoes out there, and the little marker was gone from near this particular plant. Luckily, I had thought ahead to this eventuality and actually diligently recorded the variety and position of each and every plant, making little diagrams and charts for the entire garden in a little notebook.

Then I lost the notebook. Dammit.

So I can't tell her (or you) what variety The First Tomato was. Except I know it wasn't a Black Krim. Because it wasn't black. Other than that, your guess is as good as mine. So much for organization.

*************************************************************

Yesterday afternoon, I got in the lake for the first time this summer. So far this summer, we've had rain, and thunderstorms, and cool weather. Not swimming weather, in other words. But it was hot yesterday, and the lake beckoned. So I decided to take my bath in the lake, since I was going down there anyway. This seems like such a simple, back-to-nature sort of idea. And it would be, if I didn't have to get all prissy and schlep shampoo, conditioner, a comb, mousse, hairspray, and lotion down to the beach with me (we were going out to dinner that night, so I couldn't let my hair be wild and free). It's a bit labor-intensive. But it was fun. And refreshing. Of course, by the time I had hiked back uphill to the house, I was hot again, but it was nice while it lasted.

The end.

11 comments:

Susan said...

Compulsive Hostess Disorder. Now that I know there's a name for it, perhaps I can be treated?

mdvelazquez said...

Raising my hand. I also have CHD.

I also ate my first tomato yesterday. It was a yellow heirloom. Yum! No one was home, but if they were the outcome would have been the same.

Anonymous said...

Oooo, a bath in the lake. That sounds like something from a movie. The last time I swam in a lake, some huge lake creature (a trout? a bass? Nessie?) brushed up against my leg and I'm pretty sure the entire Eastern seaboard heard me scream.

Mark said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the lake baths. Used to do that all the time... when we were closer to the lake.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Mark--I thought Stupice would be first, but I don't think this was a Stupice. The tomato was a little big for Stupice, and also not very uniformly round. This is why I was so frustrated that I couldn't consult my laboriously drawn diagram to solve my own little garden mystery.

Obviously, I live a very limited life.

krysta said...

cutworms ate all my tomatoes, i am at a loss. sooooo jealous.

FinnyKnits said...

Don't worry too much on The Tomato's variety - I've got you covered for anal retentive garden tracking this year. As long as it was warm, fresh and you didn't have to share - it was perfect :)

Bath in the lake? With shampoo and everything?

I imagine there aren't neighbors frolicking in this lake, then, right? Because, naked and stuff.

tami Bami Wami said...

dunno about the neighbors doing naked swimming but i did go swimming in the same lake as kristin did and i was nekkid. Course that was late at night when no one was awake or so i hope. LOL

Tina Post said...

We just ate our first (three!) tomatoes yesterday. I believe it was our Stupis (sp?) that ripened first. Perhaps it was your Stupis too?

Marcy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.