Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Fun with Fashion

You would probably never have guessed this about me, but I'm not much of a shopper. I KNOW. SHOCKING.

However. I am reaching a critical stage in my wardrobe in which I have been left with very few items of clothing that cover both me and the man-cub. And so rather than see me spend the rest of my pregnancy in sweatpants and A.'s wool sweaters (yeah, I probably would have mostly done that), my mother and sister decided it was time to get out the whip and force me to the mall. Where we spent three hours--THREE HOURS--in maternity stores and maternity sections. Where they pulled out top after top, most of which I rejected as completely hideous (because they WERE). There was also a very frustrating search for a pair of black pants that was ultimately victorious at Old Navy, of all places.

Here's the thing about shopping for maternity clothes: It's not fun. Especially if you're not much of a shopper to begin with. I mean, the purpose of regular shopping is to get clothing that you feel you look pretty good in. That's not really the point of maternity shopping. The point of maternity shopping is to get clothes that will still cover you in five months when your belly has swollen to alarming proportions. To this end, maternity stores helpfully provide a little pillow you can tie around your mid-section, so you have an idea of what you might look like as you approach the finish line. And as to that, I say: YIKES.

But thanks to the relentless prodding by my mom and sister--bless their drill sergeant hearts--I managed to procure several tops and one pair of pants that fit. And I only had to take a two-hour nap to recover.

9 comments:

Chiot's Run said...

I too hate shopping and only go when my clothes make me look like I'm either homeless or on the ship in the Matrix.

UGH, I hate shopping.

QuiltedSimple said...

when prego with my second child, I LIVED in Old Navy yoga pants....and motherhood maternity jeans....for some reason, those brands fit me the best. I HATE shopping but it is necessary to cover the child. Just wait til the kid is born - then you do LOTS of shopping, they grow so fast:)

Anonymous said...

I had on my favorite pair of shoes the other day ...the most comfy...I took one off to remove a stic-tight and looked to see what size they were in case I went shoe shopping one day (NOT) . Well, they had a copyright date in them and it was 1996 ....yes, folks I am wearing 14 yr old shoes...I hate shopping..yes I do. Today I also said I was going to wear only my good clothes from now on..because I was going to die before I got to wear them all..getting older does that to you. yeah 51 ..over the big hill

Beth said...

You're such a trooper. I'll bet you'll be happy in a few months that you got the clothes you did.

I myself like one stop clothes shopping. I go to Kohls. In and out in less than an hour.

Sounds like you're having a good time w/your family. And the sunshine.:)

FinnyKnits said...

Oh, I hear Old Navy is THE place to buy maternity clothes because they're cheap and you don't have to worry about buying something trendy looking since you will only be fitting into it this one season.

Though I hear Target maternity is also good.

I dunno - I could really go for some sweatpants about now.

Daisy said...

I bought a pair of maternity jeans with my second, and I LIVED in these. They had snaps (no elastic), and expanded a little each time I did. After the birth? I wore them until I "shrunk."

sweetbird said...

When I went to my sister's right before she delivered I was quite surprised at how big bellies actually get.

Another reason why I'm terrified of procreating.

Mayberry Magpie said...

If you think maternity clothes are hideous now, just wait until POST delivery when you still have to wear them. You will loathe them with a white hot passion.

And then you'll burn them.

But, hey, at Blackrock, in the spring, that could be a good thing.

Anonymous said...

I held out for so long in my "normal" clothes, determined not to go the maternity clothes route until ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY, but then once I succumbed to the jeans and shirts that were actually MADE TO FIT my awkwardly-proportioned body, IT WAS GLORIOUS.