Sunday, October 25, 2009

Capitulation

Okay, I did it. I gave in. I used the clothes dryer yesterday.

OH, THE SHAME.

See, I had set for myself a totally arbitrary and ridiculous goal of not using the dryer before November. No, I don't know why I make these rules for myself. Because I'm a control freak, I guess. Anyway, I was doing so well. I was waiting until we had a sunny day to wash anything, putting the laundry in the washing machine when it was still dark so I could hang it at first light and take advantage of every available minute of the shortening sunlight hours, putting any still-damp clothes to hang inside on the clothes rack.

Hanging laundry outside in the fall is something of an art.

But then . . . well, it rained a lot of last week. I did laundry at the beginning of the week, when we had a couple of good days. This would be okay normally, as I would just hold off on washing them until good weather. Except I have a rather limited wardrobe at the moment, as the Life Within grows ever larger and renders most of my clothing obsolete. So I sort of have to wear the same things over and over. And the real kicker: I'm leaving tomorrow for Arizona.

SURPRISE!

So, since I'm going to Arizona tomorrow and needed to pack today, and a few things I wanted to take with me were dirty, I surrendered to the ease of the clothes dryer.

And now that I've told you I'm leaving for a week, you probably don't care at all about my use of the clothes dryer (if you ever cared to begin with) or the fact that the lambs are going away to be boxed up for consumption today (SURPRISE AGAIN!). Instead, I'm sure you're now fretting about whether I'll be posting anything while I'm gone. Because your life is surely a sad and lonely thing without the cheeriness and sunshine I bring to you on a daily basis.

Ahem.

Anyway, not to worry, poppets. I'm not going to the back of beyond--just to my parents' house. Where they have many wonderful modern innovations, such as Wi-Fi and a jacuzzi bathtub. I'll be in touch, have no fear.

Until later, duckies!

8 comments:

Susan said...

Wait, don't you have family in Arizona? You must not be visiting your family, though, because surely you would have just packed a laundry bag and hung out your clothes in the Arizona sunshine.

What is the point of visiting relatives if not to do laundry at their houses?

(have a fun trip!)

Seren Dippity said...

Be cautious about mixing the joys of Wi-Fi and a jacuzzi bathtub. They should be enjoyed separately.

Anonymous said...

Yeah , a trip away from the hard work of the farm and to see your folks, another good thing.
Word verifaction - trigolaz
new event at the olympics for doing three lazy things at once.

Pat said...

well- depending on exactly WHERE you are going in AZ - I'm currently in Mesa and it is HOT,HOT, HOT! It will be 88 today, so pack shorts if you're heading anywhere near the Phoenix area!

jean said...

Sunshine and warmth! Enjoy your visit.

sweetbird said...

No matter how much of an environmentalist I eventually become, I don't think that I could ever give up the awesomeness that is the clothes dryer.

Line dried towels make me want to kill myself.

Leslie said...

Have a wonderful time! Enjoy yourself and tell the fam that I said hello. I'm going home in December, and I can't wait!!

Country Gone City said...

I love sheets dried on a line. It's one of my favorite things because they are a bit crispy and smell nice. I'm very impressed! Have a fun trip. Soak up some sun!