Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Braving Target

Remember when I said I was being forced to Target to register for baby junk? It wasn't exactly at knife-point or anything, but I sure wouldn't have gone without some coercion. In the end, my mother, sister, and sister-in-law accompanied me. Yes, I needed that much support. Because do you know what happened when I walked into the baby section at Target? I absolutely froze. Seriously. I had NO IDEA where to start. There's just so. much. stuff. All of it foreign to me.

And here's where I say thank GOD for my sister-in-law. She was the only one of the group to have had a baby in the recent past, so she could give recommendations and suggestions for a lot of the foreign objects. She was also helpful during the actual registering for the registry, which is done on a computer at Target. They have tricky little categories like "gender." And I was all, "What do they need to know my gender for? SEXISTS." And my sister-in-law was all, "I think that's for the baby's gender. Idiot."

She didn't really say that last part, but I'm sure she was thinking it. I know I was.

She was also intelligent enough to figure out that I had put in my parents' zip code instead of mine, which was why the computer was yelling at me to CHECK THE DAMN ZIP CODE, YOU MORON. And I was all, "WHY WON'T THIS STUPID THING LET ME CONTINUE? " And my sister-in-law was all, "I think maybe you should check the zip code. Idiot."

(Once again, she was too polite to say what everyone must have been thinking--the idiot part, I mean.)

She's a useful person to have around, as you can see.

BUT ANYWAY.

I gunned down many, many items. More than I ever imagined possible. More than I ever imagined anyone would ever want to buy for me (and the baby). More than I probably would have registered for on my own. But! It's all done, family and friends can be assured that I have indeed dictated what they should spend their hard-earned money on, and I have done my part to stimulate the economy.

The end.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please try to avoid Babies 'r' Us. That place gave me a panic attack by the time I reached the end of the first aisle. Not cool.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

No worries, J.T. I think the nearest baby superstore is at least a hundred miles away. Even Target is about twenty miles away. Kinda limits the registering options, assuming returns will be necessary.

x said...

This baby is going to make Going Country just that much more entertaining. I totally imagine the whole Country Baby thing on that movie Baby Boom with Diane Keaton. Except, you have a hubby. :)

sweetbird said...

Remember, if you don't buy lots of stuff the terrorists win. Or, you know...whatever the baby equivalent of that is.

If you haven't already registered for a Boppy pillow - get one. Or I'll send you one.

Seriously.

Anonymous said...

A one woman economic stimulator.....I love it!!!!
word verification - araphaul
Saying how bad you feel about going to target / while sneezing.
awful
well, I guess you must get a post office box for all of us who want to send you something 'homemade'
unless homemade isn't on your target list????

Pat said...

It's amazing what the little munchkin will need, I know. And you'll find that some of the stuff you've received that you won't use. But, you'll learn. Just think how smart you'll be by the time the next one comes along! LOL!

sheila said...

I gave my daughter cash (and a hand knit baby blanket) and she bought most of the baby stuff off from Craigslist or at consignment shops. She lives in Seattle and the wealth of stuff people get rid of is amazing. She ended up with higher quality items at rock bottom prices that way. Now that my grandson is almost 6 months old she is reposting all the tiny baby stuff back on Craigslist and getting it out of her apartment. Babies don't have to cost much if you recycle. My daughter keeps thanking me for the cash (most people gave gift certificates tying her hands on shopping options) because that cash has been stretched a long way.

FinnyKnits said...

Congrats - that section is totally foreign to me and it's scary.

You lived!

So now you'll just have to figure out how to work all that stuff.

Julie said...

I've got two kids, and the baby section overwhelms me too. I swear, all you really need for a baby are some clothes and some diapers, maybe a blanket or two. Why we ended up thinking that all the brightly colored plastic stuff is "necessary" still befuddles me. Babies are cheap and easy. You're probably better off staying out of those stores, anyway!