Friday, November 6, 2009

One More Nasty Chore

My life seems to be filled with an above-average number of gross tasks. Yesterday was no exception, although at least it did not involve animal vomit or excrement. Always a plus. No, this time it involved rotting potatoes. And fruit flies. FUN!

See, I noticed the other day when I fetched some potatoes from the boxes in the Pit of Despair that some of the boxes had little fruit flies around them. Well, they LOOK like fruit flies, anyway. My insect identification skills are not exactly expert level, so they could be something else. Whatever, they're tiny little winged things that hover around. Further investigation revealed some potatoes with spots of white mold on them, and one box with a potato on the bottom that had just turned into one big pile of disgusting goo. Yum.

Have you heard the phrase "One rotten apple will spoil the whole bunch"? Same goes for potatoes. Which meant I needed to get the rotten ones out. Which meant going through every box and examining every potato. With a flashlight, because that particular room in the Pit of Despair has no light. So I stood there in the dark, pulling out potatoes and examining them with my flashlight, occasionally encountering slimy rot with my hands (GROSS), and waving away the little fly things.

It was way fun.

However, the good news is that I don't think this is The Blight. There weren't that many potatoes affected, and the bad ones mostly just had some spots of white mold on them, most likely caused by being not entirely dry when they were stored. Because it was impossible to get ANYTHING entirely dry this summer, what with the constant rain and all. Seriously, I kept expecting the Ark to show up any day and the dogs and sheep to march on two by two.

BUT ANYWAY.

So yes, I did the nasty chore. My love for mashed potatoes conquered my reluctance to sort the potatoes, and I can be assured of many, many bowls of mashed potatoes and cheese to come. Thank God.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rotten potatoes are WAY worse than dog doo or vomit. Try running a box fan pointed in there for a part of a day to run some of the moisture out. This year our cellar is extra wet too. Did you check the cabbages while in there?

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

I can clearly see what you wrote there, but what my inside voice said at that last line was, "I can be assured of many, many bowels of mashed potatoes and cheese to come." And that's a whole different kind of thing.


Word verification: fasto -- What the dyslexic bully called the husky kid.

Stef said...

I deeply dislike "nasty chores", but it seems I'm the only one around here qualified to do them. By that, I mean, my husband would rather pretend it didn't exist and my daughter is only 10 months old, so she's little help. Hopefully your potato issues are resolved and the flies will soon depart.

Anonymous said...

I hate fruit flies. We had a couple of pears that sat on the table a little too long a few weeks ago and even though we promptly removed the pears, we are still battling these d@mned flies. Anyone know how to get rid of them for good?

me again said...

I think the smell would make me run off and pretend the problem didn't exist...that's me, livin' in the land of denial. Or maybe there was no icky smell?
(My word verification is plams, I can't decide if it makes me think of plans or plums. Do you have any plum plans, perchance?)
(Doncha love the alliteration.....)
==lennie==

me again said...

This is too funny. I think I LOVE word verifications.
bolognh
I mean, who thinks these things up? (I know, nobody does. That's why they're random....)
I'm going with a snooty way to spell (and pronounce) bologna....ah, baloney!!
:-)
I'll stop now......

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Anonymous #1: No, I didn't check the cabbages. Out of sight, out of mind.

Anonymous #2: The only way to get rid of them for good is to get rid of all fruit. Freezing temperatures help, too. You can lessen them, however, by putting some vinegar or fruit juice in the bottom of a bottle with a narrow top, like an old soda bottle or wine bottle. They'll crawl into the bottle and die in there.

FinnyKnits said...

I hope this isn't what I have to look forward to with growing potatoes. Though I don't imagine we'll have enough to store.

Which is good. Because I don't do well with flies or goo.

Go on with your bad self.

Daisy said...

I'm glad it was worth it! I made twice baked potatoes tonight. Mmm.

Word verification: propluv -- what the stagehand felt in his heart

Mayberry Magpie said...

Oh my god. I never cease to be amazed at the muck attendant to farm life. I'm not sure how you do it, really. And you are PREGNANT? How did that task not make you gag?

Chiot's Run said...

OOOOOOO, rotting potatoes stink sooooo bad. YUCK, so sorry. I would probably be dry heaving.

Pat said...

I'm not pregnant, and this post made me gag. Sorry, I'm quite queasy! Yuk!