Thursday, August 20, 2009

This Post Is Not About My Gravidity

Not to take anything away from yesterday's exciting announcement, but there is another, much less fun, announcement to be made: The Blight has descended upon our garden.

You know The Blight. The New York Times has been squawking about The Blight since this spring, when it was discovered that many of the big box stores (thanks A LOT Lowe's and K-Mart) had sold seedling tomatoes infected with The Blight. It's the same fungus that caused the Irish potato famine in the 1800's, and it can infect both potatoes and tomatoes. The Blight was late in reaching us, but I noticed the first signs of it last week. So far, it only seems to have affected the tomatoes. I doubt if my plants will survive much more than a week now. And I don't even think all the tomatoes that are already on the plants will be able to ripen.

I'll allow you to ponder that for a second.

There will be no tomato canning this year. No salsa, no sauce, no canning throwdown. I will have to buy canned tomatoes this winter.

I don't think I can handle this.

And in related news, I have seen more than one article advocating the substitution of other fruits for the "T" in a BLT. I'm sorry, but a bacon, lettuce, and plum sandwich? GROSS. Even worse than that? Bacon, lettuce, and watermelon.

The End of Days appears to be upon us.

13 comments:

Leslie said...

No salsa?! Damn the blight!

mdvelazquez said...

Oh, I'm so sorry.

Anonymous said...

Wait a second: so THAT'S why I have only gotten TWO ripe tomatoes off my three plants this year? And why the green tomatoes I see aren't ripening or getting any bigger? Huh.

And if I was all pregnant-like (AS YOU ARE, EEEEEE!!!), I would never stop barfing at the thought of a bacon, lettuce, and watermelon sammich. GROSS.

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Are you sure they were actually recommending the plum watermelon? Because they both sound like entries in the "What's The Worst Replacement For Tomatoes On A BLT?" contest.

If you wanted something actually good, drop the lettuce, switch the mayo to peanut butter, and add some banana. Elvis would be proud.

Susan said...

Our civilization is in decline. I'm grieving for your tomato plants.

Phoo-D said...

Oh that is so sad! You may have to burn your bushes when they are done this year rather than composting them. I remember my Dad having trouble getting rid of a blight once it hit several years back.

Chiot's Run said...

So sad, I don't believe it's hit our neck of the woods yet.

Conspiracy theory loving me is thinking it's a purposeful plot thought up by the evil Monsanto to put a damper on the grow-your-own heirloom mania that's sweeping the country.

And BLT's with plums or tomatoes - YUCK. I think perhaps a grilled peach would be nice in there with some maple glazed bacon (perhaps no lettuce though).

Tina Post said...

Yeah, the blight has been heartbreaking.... there's really nothing more to say. Except: baaaaaby! Squee!

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Phoo-D: Thankfully, the fungus can't survive our freezing winters, so our soil should be okay for next year. We rotate our whole garden every year, anyway, which is also recommended. And no, those plants are most assuredly NOT going into the compost.

Meadowlark said...

That sux, and congratulatins. Well, actually in the opposite order.

I'm going to have to check my tomatoes, but they're going great guns for the first time in years, due to our heat wave this summer. Blight STAY AWAY!

Amy said...

Now, watch...tomatoes will be the one food you will be craving...

FinnyKnits said...

Yeah, saw that recipe. Plums for tomatoes? Ridiculous.

Shall I send you some canned tomatoes? Our first batch yielded almost 11 pints and I've got quarts out there I need to get to in a few weeks.

So sad about the blight. Really, I'd cry.

Daisy said...

Bacon, lettuce, and zucchini? No.

I don't know if I'm getting the blight; my tomatoes are not doing well, though.