Monday, August 17, 2009

An Unexpected Benefit

These are certainly not the first humid, hazy summer days I've experienced. And yet, I somehow never noticed what the sun looks like when it's setting in weather like this. Because of the haze, you can look directly at it, and it's this incandescent red-orange sphere just hanging there in the sky. It looks kind of like the Apocalypse, but in a cool way.

I noticed it for the first time when I was walking back down to the house after shutting the chickens in their coop a couple of nights ago. And again last night, there it was. I was determined to get a picture of it this time, so I went down to the beach where the view of it wouldn't be obstructed by trees. But when I got down there, the haze had obscured it too much, and the glow of it was so diminished, it was barely visible. I took the picture anyway, but it doesn't convey how incredibly impressive the sun looked. Like so much else in life, you just had to be there.

Disappointing. You'll just have to trust me.

5 comments:

Mayberry Magpie said...

Actually, I think your photo looks great.

We've had the humidity without the beautiful sunsets. It was so humid this morning, I might as well have run through a steam shower. Fortunately, there was a 30 mph wind.

mdvelazquez said...

I knew you loved us.

The next few days are suppose to be extremely hot and humid in NYC.

An Open Heart said...

GREAT photo....and you are right, sometimes the moment has to be lived in person.

x said...

I'm with Magpie. I like the pic.

Lucky you!

Susan said...

I often have moments when I look around and wonder if it's the Apocalypse. Or maybe the rapture.

I will most likely be left behind, blogging.