Sunday, December 6, 2009

Running Hot

I have this problem with my internal thermostat. That is, it's set to keep me as warm as possible in our cold-ass house. The problem comes in when I go anywhere else. I overheat like a car with a bum radiator. Every time.

It doesn't matter if I wear short sleeves. Which I do when I leave our house, even in the coldest part of winter. It doesn't matter if I'm drinking ice water. It is absolutely inevitable that half an hour after entering a normally heated home, my face will be bright red (thanks to my Irish ancestors for this charming trait!) and people will start asking me if I'm okay. They're no doubt worried I'm about to pass out. That's how flushed I get.

A.'s family has become accustomed to seeing me looking like some kind of florid drunkard, since I look like this at every holiday gathering. Other people still get alarmed by it, though.

We went to two parties yesterday. One was at a family member's house, which meant I could get beet red (and I did!) and no one would really remark on it. The other was at a non-family member's house. Which meant I found a spot between two open windows (it was a really crowded cocktail party--the open windows were needed to cool the inferno) and basked in the 30-degree breeze.

The annoying part of this is that I'm still cold in my own house most of the time. I just can't win.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mother does this too--her cheeks are always bright red when the temperature gets above 40 degrees. Yesterday at a Crafts Fair, a friend recommended that I buy my mother a bed warmer bean bag for Christmas. I laughed--and bought it for myself.

Sara said...

I remember you were always wearing short sleeves at work when I was bundled up in my coat and scarf...and we sat right next to each other! Craziness.

sweetbird said...

I run very warm too, though I don't turn red. I start to...shall we say, glow profusely?

People always look at me crazy when I wear short sleeves or flip-flops in the winter, but I look at them just as strangely in their heavy wool coats and fur-lined boots.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun .... and familiar...been there too.

word verification 'mouse'

on the 'going coutnry' blog appropriate , I say.

Anonymous said...

and country too

Chiot's Run said...

I'm generally a cold person, cold all summer, cold all winter, but I find when I'm out in public things are just too warm

My face looked like this in a restaurant the other day. My cheeks were on fire! We keep our house cold, I mean it's the winter, I should have to keep a sweater on to stay warm. I hate going elsewhere and it's so hot you can't wear cold weather clothes. It seems like everywhere is just too hot.

!