Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Distraction

I don't really have anything particularly entertaining to say today, so . . . look! Over there! It's bunny booties!


These were a shower gift from the MiL's cousin, and they're so soft I want to just curl up inside of them and take a nap. They may tie with the bear suit for Most Adorable Item of Clothing on the Planet.

Below the booties is a teddy bear with a bib around its neck. This was courtesy of the MiL's sister, who may have forgotten what day the shower was on and so didn't actually have time to go shopping and instead grabbed one of her own teddy bears and put on it this bib she had found at her mother's house. It's a hand-sewn, hand-embroidered bib that was used for at least one of the MiL's siblings, and probably more of them. It's, like, a family heirloom. And as such, is way better than anything she could have bought at Target.

Also as such, is not something I will be actually USING for man-cub, since I think a bib made by his great-grandmother has more sentimental value than drool-catching value. Especially since the bib is this really, really thin material that I do not think would be very helpful in catching drool.

But those booties? Oh yes, they will be used. And there will be photos. Between the bunny booties and the bear suit, I think we'll have more than enough embarrassing ammunition for the teen years, don't you?

9 comments:

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

I've got two questions.

1. Was the person who bought the bunny booties unaware you're having a man cub? Or is this some sick "A Christmas Story" setup?

2. What's the difference between "family heirloom" and "crap I had lying around the house"? This might be useful to me next Christmas.


Word verification: subbl -- The texture of soft pleather.

Phoo-D said...

I think the slippers and bear are adorable. (Though I laughed out loud at Drew's 'Christmas Story' comment.) Can't wait to see pictures of them in use!

Seren Dippity said...

@drew - the difference is obvious. If the crap you have lying around your house was ALSO lying around your parent's house and (or better yet) your grandparent's house; then it qualifies as heirloom.

Regarding the heirloom bib... you MUST use it once or twice to imbue it with the proper sentimentality. It then becomes not just an OLD bib but an old bib that you wore when you were an itty bitty baby that was also worn by your great great great whatever. If it is extremely fragile, then put it on for say the first feeding of gooshy food, snap a few photos and remove it. Then it becomes not only sentimental but DOCUMENTED sentimental.

Can't beat that with a stick.

Linda said...

The boots are wonderful. The bib is probably best left around the bear's neck, unless you want to use it one time to make it an official heirloom. Given what it is, handwashing is probably better than washing in the washer with A's work clothes. Then back around the bear's neck.

mil said...

Well, Drew, since I was SURE I was having a girl, I bought a pink nightie for the baby. Then Adam arrived. He looked so sweet in pink--and he wore that nightie until he no longer fit into it. And just see what a girly-man he turned out to be. We figure the bunny booties might turn the baby into a strong-man competitor.

Anonymous said...

Or turn him into a feminist! which would be great!

Word verification: Later
Which is what my husband says when I ask him "When are you going to do the . . . fix the . . . "

jean said...

When is this child arriving? I can't wait to see him in all his new outfits. Babies are so much fun to dress up. Then they become toddlers and actually want to pick out their own clothes. Think Batman cape, Power Ranger underwear and yellow rain boots - to go grocery shopping. Ugh.

rls said...

Those boots are the cutest things in the entire world, end of story. I agree with whoever said you have to use the bib at least once or twice, even if it's just to take a photo in.

Verification word: exionqua. I don't have a definition for it; I just wanted to show off that I could type that. Twice.

Sara said...

I want a pair of those booties for myself! And the bib is great. That's one lucky kid.