Tuesday, August 10, 2010

My List

Are you a list-maker? I'm not. I mostly just keep a running list in my head of things that need to be done--writing it down would just depress me. That said, I seem to be building up a substantial list of food-related chores that I haven't got to yet. And by "food-related," I of course mean, URGENT ACTION NECESSARY ZUCCHINI PLOTTING MASS DESTRUCTION.

So far, here are the things I haven't done with the garden produce:

1) Shredded zucchini for freezing.

2) Processed cooked zucchini for Cubby. It's cooked, I just haven't hauled out the food processor to make it less stringy and more appetizing. At least, I hope pureed zucchini is appetizing. I have my doubts.

3) Boiled, roasted, or otherwise done something clever with the beets I finally pulled out of the garden.

4) Cut, blanched, and frozen some of the chard. It's starting to get a little large, that chard.

5) Figured out what the hell to do with the mounting numbers of cucumbers, now that I've already made freezer pickles, refrigerator pickles, and enough cucumber salad to kill a cat. If cats ate cucumber salad. Which I'm pretty sure they don't. Too bad. I bet Pitty could really put it away if he wanted to.

6) Cooked the broccoli that I've slowly been accumulating from the small side shoots that keep appearing.

7) Cooked, pureed, and sieved some carrots for Cubby. I did this once, except I didn't sieve it. He was not such a fan. But that was awhile ago, and he's gotten a little better about texture since then, so I'll have to try again.

8) There's more. But I'm starting to get discouraged, so I think I'll end here.

10 comments:

Sara said...

I'm big on making lists. Otherwise, I forget everything (or feel like I do, anyway). But sometimes I forget to look at my list, so that sucks.

Anonymous said...

List maker here, I am old must have lists.
Good Cubby is eating 'regular' food.
Beth

word verificatioon 'dionest'

how we all wish to kick the bucket

Mayberry Magpie said...

I'm a list maker from way back. When I was about 25, I made a list for my "5 year plan" that included "start and finish graduate school." My cousin saw my plan and made fun of me at the time. She must still be laughing today because I started grad school at age 25, but ended at age 46.

X said...

I'm a list maker. Not so much a list completer, though. Just making the list makes me feel like I'm accomplishing something.

How are those tasks coming, btw? :)

P.S. Your comment on my blog the other day was so freakin' nice. Thanks for giving the ego a little boost! :)

Mia said...

Lot of work - ain't it?

That's why I decided to stay with flowers this year...

Till the freakin groundhog invasion ate them all.

Just sayin'.

Word verif: "sward". Thanks, I needed that!

Daisy said...

Lists are good. Mental lists are good, too. Now if only I had a list that could get rid of these nasty overgrown mosquitoes that are threatening to carry away the neighborhood rabbits...

Judi said...

I *have* to do lists. Not that I necessarily look at them after I've made them, but it helps organize my thoughts.

Elsie said...

For the cukes, try this!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aaron-sanchez/agua-fresca-de-pepino-cold-cucumber-drink-recipe/index.html

REALLY refreshing in the heat, and I didn't bother to peel mine before throwing them in the blender. The trick is to serve it really cold. Amazing thirst quencher.

FinnyKnits said...

This is where we differ, I'm afraid, because I'm a psycho list maker. But I'm also a psycho list DOER, which comes in handy when you're being summarily buried by produce.

Though I still haven't de-cucumbered the crisper and my pantry's about maxed out with pickles and now tomatoes.

And it's only August.

And here I thought this was going to be a "slow" summer vegetable-wise. Pfffffft.

Good luck, friend.

ColleenQ said...

There's a Go-go's song from the 80's called "Girl of 100 Lists"...it's actually about me. :)

(I"m so envious of your country life! I'm been feeling the powerful pull to the country lately...chickens, watermelon and john deere tractors, oh, my! (for now, I think I'll live vicariously through you).