Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Helloooo RAIN!

Yes, RAIN in all caps, with an exclamation point. That's what we're getting right now.

Rain in the summer isn't so bad, and is usually kind of needed. But rain any other time of year means only one thing: MUD.

Yes, in all caps.

Mud around our house is no joke. It's one of those things you don't think about when you're living in a city, because everything is paved. There may be some puddles, but those are navigable. But on a property on which nothing is paved, the mud is inescapable. And depressing.

Rubber boots are a necessity, despite being something of a pain in the ass to get on and off. Unfortunately, at the moment we have all of one pair of rubber boots for the entire household, that only fit the MiL and I. And they have a leak in them. A.'s split right down a seam not too long ago and had to be thrown out (they were about 15 years old, so it wasn't as sad as it might have been).

This is why when my mother asked what A. and I wanted for Christmas, the first thing I said was "Tingleys."

Tingley is the brand of rubber boots we use. They last forever (or at least 15 years); they're relatively comfortable for rubber boots; and they go all the way to right below the knee, unlike those sissy fashionable rubber boots that barely clear the ankle and are mostly useless to us.

I'm sure my mother was thinking something a little less utilitarian might make a better Christmas present, but Tingleys are what we want, so Tingleys are what we're getting. My mom's good like that.

Too bad we don't have them today, though.

P.S. Um, am I supposed to have a disclaimer or something here? Even though I linked to the site for Tingleys, that was just for your edification and has nothing to do with any prodding by the Tingley people for product endorsement. I am endorsing them, but only because they're what we like and not because I get free boots or anything. I don't think Tingley does a lot of blog advertising. Just a guess.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Luckily I am able to get by on the shorter ones with the leather upper parts(some generic brand) and I am sure they have lasted at least the 15 yr. requirement you have . :) I guess our mud isn't quite as deep as yours is. :)
I think a Christmas gift you will use often, even if it is utilitarian, is much more appreciated than say makeup or cashmere sweater.
I have to smile at Cubby sized 'bubby boots'.
Beth
word verification - quitax
money given for being able to stop
why not, they tax every other dang thing they can think of- bitter, no , not much

Alicia said...

Are you kidding me? You're getting rain and we're getting a morning filled with frost? WTF?!

jive turkey said...

Girl, I can't believe you're not getting snow. Who do I call about this?!

Daisy said...

Hmmm... maybe Tingley's needs to start advertising and send you a sample pair for a review!

rls said...

I can't believe that Jive Turkey didn't notice (or at least didn't comment upon) the fact that the Tingley website is tingleyrubber.com. Where's that pre-teen boy sense of humor we've come to expect?

Anonymous said...

I'm with Daisy . Tingley's should start blog advertising or do product review on blogs.
Hello, Tingley's welcome to the 21st century.
Oh, the snow/cold is coming your way...we had boatloads of rain a couple days ago.....now it is freeze your tookus off, C-O-L-D. Beth