Saturday, April 2, 2011

Maybe Today Is the Day

Though I don't want to promise anything. I mean, I would like to get the tomato seeds in their starter pots and into the bathroom (different bathroom this year, due to HOLY high electric bills and attempts to reign in the space heaters' use). I would like to, but I may be foiled by a certain child and his unfortunate teething.

I do feel bad when Cubby's getting teeth, because I can imagine that it hurts like hell to have sharp bits of bone breaking through skin, but the whining and crying might be the end of my sanity.

Luckily, infant acetaminophen* (what, you think I would use brand-name Tylenol? please) does seem to help. So, with any luck, there may be some actual sleeping today in a long-enough block to allow me to get those seeds in soil. Where they will, we hope, germinate and produce lots of juicy, drippy, delicious tomatoes.

Prepare yourselves. Tomato Crazy 2011 is coming.

* Damn. I spelled that right on the first try. I'm so impressed with myself.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor little soul. Have you tried Oragel? Grandchild number two seems to think it helps.

Anke said...

Poor little guy... We let our girls chew on frozen waffles, or a wet washcloth that had been in the freezer for a little while. Seemed to help them...
Good luck with the tomatoes!

Lisa said...

Hyland's teething tabs work great.

Domestic Dilettante said...

I've had a bad toothache for a month. Finally got a root canal on Tuesday and the relief was instant. I literally feel Cubby's pain. And my husband feels yours. It's no fun to be around a soul of any age with a toothache.

Anonymous said...

Our little plants (no true leaves yet) are biding there time outside in a cold frame...glass over a wooden box, covered when temps drop.....yummy , juicies....swoon.
Glad the acetaminophin is working. No teething experience here. Beth

sheila said...

Go easy in the acetaminophen, that crap is liver toxic and doesn't take much to damage an infant. Baby Tylenol was promoted as a safer alternative than aspirin for children, but I'm beginning it think it was nothing more than a way for the pharmaceuticals to get money out of us.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

Sheila: Not to worry. I have a general distrust and dislike of any kind of medication myself, so poor Cubby has had the acetaminophen exactly twice in his whole life, including the one dose I gave him a couple of days ago. Good thing he's a pretty stoic baby in general. A whole raw carrot to gnaw on is usually enough for him when he's teething.