Monday, March 28, 2011

My Buddy

As A. and I were making our laundry mucous this morning, I was reflecting on the incredible usefulness of my 8-quart stainless steel pot. That is a serious workhorse of a pot. I use it to the point of ridiculousness.

I got this pot as part of a set of KitchenAid pots my mom gave me for Christmas about six years ago. I believe my brother actually did the research and recommended that particular brand, though, so GOOD JOB, brother (and thanks, Mom and Dad!) because those pots are AWESOME. They're heavy and conduct heat really well without scorching. I use them all every day, but that stock pot is the best.

I can't find my exact one online, but the shape is something like this one. Except without that coating. I like that it's more tall than wide. And I like how big it is without being so big I can barely fit it underneath our low and incredibly irritating range hood (enormous pressure canner, I'm looking at you). But mostly, I just like how it cooks.

When making jam, it heats the fruit and sugar up to boiling very quickly. When making yogurt, it heats the milk without scorching (well, not MUCH, anyway). It's the right size for making laundry detergent, for boiling lots of pasta, for putting in a whole chicken to poach.

It is, in short, The Best Pot Ever. And so it joins the ranks of household items I have written love notes to--that includes, you may remember, the dishpan and dishrack.

It's a small and inconsequential life I lead, but full of little pleasures.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The tools can make or break the cook.

FinnyKnits said...

I am so with you on this - I have some major workhorses that are the first ones to get used and the ones least likely to ever see the inside of the cabinet since they're always in use.

I just wish that "My Buddy, my buddy" song from that stupid kid's toy commercial wasn't in my head now.