Thursday, January 22, 2009

Wanna See My Rack?

My dishrack, I mean. What did you think I was talking about?

First there were the raptures over the new dishpan. Then I got a wee bit worked up about my new garden tote. And now . . . Well, now we have a new dishrack, and I'm so excited, I just can't hide it.

Our old dishrack, much like the old dishpan that I despised so much, was a plastic-covered wire piece of shit from the grocery store. It was cheap, but only in quality. Price-wise, not so cheap. Not cheap enough for how crappy it was, anyway. So the MiL took it upon herself to replace the old one. After trolling all the offerings for dishracks on Amazon.com, she decided on this kind from Simple Human. It arrived yesterday, and immediately made the old dishrack look like a shitty, worn out has-been. Which it is.



Beauty and the Beast

In addition to being larger and sturdier in every way, as well as not rusted and gross-looking, the new dishrack has several nifty features. This dishrack is tricked out. It has a bamboo knife rack! And flip-up cup holders! I mean, come on. Who wouldn't get excited about flip-up cup holders?

My favorite part of this whole thing, though, was the statement on the front of the box that reads "The steel frame dishrack has an elegant solid steel frame that matches the aesthetic of upscale kitchen appliances . . ." That's a wonderful selling point for people that HAVE upscale kitchen appliances. I do not think, however, that our bottom-of-the-line white refrigerator and the 30-year-old stove we snagged from the neighbors when they were re-doing their kitchen really qualify as "upscale."

No matter! We have an upscale dishrack now. We're movin' on up, y'all! And I will not apologize for my excitement. If you did as many damn dishes as we do, you'd be excited, too.

14 comments:

Aunt Krissy said...

I have your old style right now!
I have a dishwasher but I have never used it. I don't mind doing dishes by hand.

Anonymous said...

Oooh! Ahhh! And I am also embarrassed to admit that your old dishrack.... is my current dishrack. Sigh

It's me said...

sigh...
you funny girl Kristin. :/

I hate doing dishes by hand. But at least I have one of those IKEA wooden racks so it's not so bad.

Susan said...

You are too cute. You should be proud and I'm thrilled for you!

Susan said...

Pimp my rack.

Our coffee maker would look nice among upscale appliances. As it it, it looks (and probably feels) like Luciano Pavaroti at a ho down.

Anonymous said...

I don't often tell people that they have a nice rack, but this time I gotta say it ...Kristin, you have one sweet rack girl.
I actually just pile up my dishes on the draining board of my old sink, and hope 1 of the child laborers will come along and help dry them before they go every which way.
Nice day here today in Saskatchewan -10 C (about +14 F)
Tell A. while there is a potato farm about 5 miles from where I live, they are actually pretty rare in SK.(It's all about grain farming here).
Faye S

Anonymous said...

That is one slick-ass dishrack, for real. Can it also mix a Manhattan? It looks so sophisticated, as dishracks so. MiL has good taste.

Sweet Bird said...

That's a pretty sweet rack.

Anonymous said...

Nice rack! I just pile mine on old dishtowels on the counter...your's is just lovely!!!

FinnyKnits said...

I think we had that exact dishrack in our old house. Your old one, that is.

Thankfully we do have a dishwasher now, but anything that can't go in the DW gets stacked all WT-like on a towel on the counter.

You've outclassed me again!

krysta said...

jefferson's theme is going though my head that or she a brickhouse, she's mighty mighty lettin' it all hang out! nice rack!

Anonymous said...

I know from answer # 4 in yesterday's post this might be touchy, but I have to say for all the reasons to not have kids, one TOP TEN reason to do it is "built-in dishwasher." I haven't washed a dish in three years and I'm damn proud of it. If you've got teenagers in your house and you're dishwashing, or mowing lawns, or taking out the trash, something is terribly, terribly wrong.

Oh, and your rack rocks.

MsPicketToYou said...

this makes me want a new pot holder desperately. is that so wrong?

The Country Experience said...

Congrats on the new rack. It is a beaut.

I wonder if it's going to be all uppity and think it's superior to the other, more aged kitchen appliances/tools. Or if it will be a "can't we all just get along" kind of rack that loves all & serves all. You'll have to let us know how it turns out.

And if it can make a drink (like a Manhattan), I'm getting one. Because you've got to have priorities in life, and that could rank pretty highly some days, don'tcha think?