Sunday, January 18, 2009

When It All Comes Together


First, for those of you who would like to read an explanation of the forces that converge to result in my pillow freezing to the wall, go to the previous post. My brilliant and very thorough husband, A., has left his first ever comment just to explain it to you. Probably his last comment, as well.

And now, on with the show!

Sometimes it happens that I'll be sitting around with my mouth open, staring ahead vacantly and pondering what to make for dinner, and I'll realize I have EXACTLY the ingredients I need to make a certain special thing. It's a happy coincidence, when Fate steps in to do my meal planning for me.

Fate stepped in last night and decreed we should have chili cheese fries. It must have been Fate who planted the insidious little seed of an idea into my head, because I've never even HAD chili cheese fries. Ever. Anywhere.

But who am I to argue with Fate? I mean, I did have all that extra Cincinnati-style chili in the refrigerator that I was unsure what to do with. Apparently, it's often used for chili dogs, but I find the thought of covering a hot dog in meat sauce a little repellent. Too much meat there for me. And I did have that tarp full of french fries sitting in boxes in the cellar. And of course, I had cheese. Because we always have cheese.

So I made the french fries (sometime I'll have to share with you my super-weird yet absolutely perfect method for frying french fries--but let's not get distracted right now), heaped on the chili, threw on the grated cheese (A. and the MiL added raw onion too, but I hate raw onion) and abandoned myself to feeding like a hog at the trough.

Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned.


It was about as good as you would expect french fries covered in meat sauce and cheese to be. That is, nutritionally indefensible, but fantastic. A. couldn't believe his luck. He talked about those chili cheese fries for HOURS afterwards. He said a great sense of comfort was radiating from his belly all night long. I suspect that was the fat clogging his arteries, but man, he would have died happy.

So next time you have homemade chili meat sauce and feel like making some french fries, make this. Forget Fate--I'm telling you to do it. You won't be sorry.

P.S. Last day to enter for the $25 Amazon gift certificate. Just comment on this post by midnight EST.

8 comments:

Aunt Krissy said...

Are you sure that it was only comfort that was radiating from his belly?

Anonymous said...

I'm waiting for the french fry explanation. I LOVE french fries, especially chili cheese fries. They're a staple in Oklahoma, though I've never made them.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. I've had cheese fries, but never chili cheese fries - that has always just seemed too artery-clogging for me.

jean said...

Yummy. Can you give us a step by step for the french fries? I have some potatoes that need it.

Susan said...

The french fry instructions will be tomorrow, yes? I have some frozen bison that's about to turn into chili.
I mostly just wanted to nonchalantly mention that I had frozen bison.

Anonymous said...

<< Fate stepped in last night and decreed we should have chili cheese fries >>

Bwah!!! Fate, oh She is a kind mother...

I have recently decided that french fries are the *best* damn food. Coconut shrimp is a close second. Looking forward to your FF technique!

BOSSY said...

So. Hunnnnnngry. Now.

Anonymous said...

Oh my Lord. Reading about chili cheese fries at 9:15 in the morning has totally made my mouth water. And I was still dreaming of the Cincy-style chili. I went to college in KY in we used to take entire Saturdays to drive up to Cincinnati for Skyline Chili. Hangover cure of the gods.