Saturday, May 21, 2011

Labryinth and the Barnyard

I've probably seen the movie Labyrinth a dozen times. Have you seen this movie? The one from the '80s with Jennifer Connelly and David Bowie in some really interesting costume choices (hello, codpiece! yikes)? I love it. It's sort of odd and very funny. Also surprisingly applicable to Blackrock. Specifically, the Bog of Eternal Stench.

If you are not familiar with the Bog of Eternal Stench, go here and watch this clip. Actually, watch it even if you ARE familiar with the Bog of Eternal Stench, just so you have the visual (and audio) fresh in your mind. Now imagine something similar every time I go to open or shut the chicken coop door and have to mince my way from board to board, trying my hardest not to lose my balance and slip into the sucking mud that surrounds the coop after all this rain.

Just about as fun as it sounds, yes.

Thankfully, the sun is out today and may actually stay out for a couple of days, so maybe the bog up there will get a chance to dry out. I should be so lucky.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think chicken smells worse than pig.

Anonymous said...

My family raised broiler chickens by the thousands when I was a kid, so I feel your pain! But...the family of one of my best friends raised pigs. The pigs were worse.

tu mere said...

Now I'm going to have to get the movie "Labyrinth". Haven't seen it in I can't count the years, but I remember the weirdness. Guess your chickens are OK with the muck. This is why you have your stylish choice of shoes.

FinnyKnits said...

I love that movie. Though for whatever reason The Hat saying, "It's stimulating being your hat!" is what sticks in my mind.

Now I'm cracking up at the thought of you skipping across your own farting Bog of Eternal Stench.