Sunday, October 9, 2011

Rough Around the Edges

Yesterday afternoon, after we had already dug potatoes and stacked wood, A. wanted to go down to the beach to work on some boat stuff. It was a gorgeous day, 75 degrees and sunny. Probably the last really warm weekend we'll have this year. Cubby had just awakened from his last nap of the day, so we went to down to the beach with A. After doing his boat stuff and starting the water pump, A. asked if we wanted to go in the boat. Okay, I said, but no fishing.

Which is how we found ourselves in my future brother-in-law's boat heading for a winery.

There are lots of wineries in our area, but we rarely visit them. But it was like the boat just made its way there on its own. Or maybe that was A. at the tiller. Whatever, the point is that we went to a winery without any planning whatsover.

Do you know the sort of people that go to wineries and pull up at lakeside docks to do wine tastings? People in speedboats and cropped pants with cute sandals. Not people who pull up in Mississippi River fishing boats wearing holey, stained t-shirts, paint-stained jeans and hiking boots, towing a toddler wearing a grubby white t-shirt and pants with a hole in the knee.

I can't imagine what we looked like to those people at the winery. But it didn't matter. We got our bottle of wine, plus a bottle of water and some bread and cheese for Cubby. We sat on the lawn of the winery drinking wine and eating cheese, looking at the lake, watching Cubby gnaw on his bread and play with the tiny plastic cups. He was perfectly happy. We were perfectly happy. Life was good, ratty clothing be damned.

We should do that more often. But maybe next time I'll change my pants.

6 comments:

Toni said...

Sounds like a great day! Maybe they were so overwhelmed by Cubby's cuteness and good behavior they didn't notice your appearance. That's what I tell myself all the time...

Anonymous said...

The fancy folk don't even notice the rest of us. Relax.

Anonymous said...

Love it !
B.

FinnyKnits said...

You guys definitely deserve a nice outing with decent weather like that before the long Blackrock winter. Good for you guys for taking advantage of it.
Plus, I've been known to stop work in the garden to take the unexpected trip with the neighbors to the nursery and then the winery across the way, where I've tasted varietals in my yard clothes and dirty garden clogs with a bandana over my hair,so yeah, you'd fit in here in California.

pugsx4 said...

Sounds perfect. It's not about how you look, it is about how you feel! Took me fifty years to learn that.

Sister’s Sailor said...

I’m glad you guys can enjoy the boat! I can honestly say, this was the first time it ever went to a winery. In fact I do not think I have ever thought of taking it, maybe a fish market or hunting blind, but winery....Oh a good note, there should have been plenty of room for the Cub-ster to roll around in the boat. The carpet was fairly new and there were never any fishhooks in the boat after the decking/carpet was finished! Oh and there is the whole not having to bail water thing should make it more enjoyable for you also.