Friday, October 14, 2011

Cubby Down

A cold may not get the raging typhoon Cubby down, but whatever he had yesterday sure did. Poor kid was plastered to my front for four hours yesterday afternoon. He had a very slight fever, but otherwise displayed no signs of illness. No signs other than the fact that he didn't want to run around and get into trouble. All he wanted to do was sleep on my lap on the couch, huddled under the sheepskin.

So that's what we did.

Because I was pinned to the couch by a quite heavy child, I was really unable to do anything but sit there and think. Always dangerous. Mostly what I thought about, of course, were various scenarios involving trips to the emergency room and that story A. read in the paper yesterday about the girl who died from contracting equine encephalitis from mosquitoes. And the three mosquito bites Cubby got the day before.

Wonderful. This thinking stuff will drive you crazy, man.

By bedtime, however, Cubby had removed himself from my lap, found his wooden hammer, and commenced to chasing the cat around the living room and pulling on the lamp cord. So, obviously a full and speedy recovery then.

Happy Friday, duckies! May your weekend be fever-free.

10 comments:

Phoo-D said...

The worrying of motherhood never ceases. Glad to hear he is happily back to terrorizing the cat and general destruction!

Anonymous said...

Poor wee toadie, glad he's feeling better.

Joellen said...

Glad Cubbie is feeling better.

sheila said...

May Cubby's immune system always be so effective.

Domestic Dilettante said...

Here's the deal: it never ends. It doesn't matter if they are 2 or 12 or 22. They will get a fever and feel bad, you'll read about some terrible strain of something awful, and you will have the terrors until they are up and moving again. My neighbor made a mad rush to St. Louis this week to check on her college-aged son because he said he couldn't get out of his dorm bed and stand up. Turns out he had a bad case of strep. My kids are 15 and 18 now, and I'm just as fussy when they are sick as I was when they were babies. Phoo-D is right. The only saving grace is they recover so much more quickly than we do that we don't usually have to worry for long.

Daisy said...

Hugs to both of you! Motherly worry never ends, but I think we get better at functioning while we worry. Me? I either garden or bake to keep my mind occupied.

Marcy said...

Hope everybody's okay...

Anonymous said...

Yes, two days without a blog entry. I am getting worried. Mary in MN

Anonymous said...

Same here Mary in MN and Marcy.
I thought maybe Mil would comment and let us know what is going on...sometimes she does.
Beth

Joellen said...

I too am worried. It was bad enough yesterday, but I came here today expecting to see a new post. Will be praying all is well.