Monday, January 23, 2012

The Biggest Tools

I have mentioned before Cubby's abiding fascination with tools.  He has not wavered in his devotion to tools of all kinds--preferably the sharp, dangerous ones he's not allowed to touch--but he has expanded his interests to what are essentially just really, really BIG tools.

Behold:


When we were at Longwood Gardens, the staff was working on some kind of big outdoor project near the house, so while I toured around the full-of-breakable-objects house, A. took Cubby outside to play. And there they encountered the excavator.  It was love.  Cubby stood there the whole time I was in the house watching the men working the machines, and he REALLY didn't want to go.  A. had to pick him up and bodily remove him from the scene of the machinery.

Perhaps we have a future heavy equipment operator on our hands.  Or maybe just a typical little boy who thinks anything with an engine is the greatest thing ever.

3 comments:

sheila said...

You are raising an engineer. I had one of those little boys just like Cubby 30 yrs ago. My son is a aeronautics engineer today in charge of a team building rockets that launch all kinds of payloads into space. Cubby's facination with all things guy will only burn brighter as he gets bigger. Enjoy the ride!

I really do hope the next one is a little girl, then you can get to see how different they are despite the fact that you try to raise them identically. Watching them become their own person is facinating.

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

My mom used to take my brother to watch the construction crews work (wherever they were) because he loved it so much!

He is now a pilot. Go figure.

Joan @ Debt of Gratitude said...

There is a whole series of videos (well, they were videos when my son was Cubby's age; I suppose they are DVDs now) about big machines. There was one about earth movers and one about street cleaners and one about stump grinders. Parker would watch them endlessly with a look of pure bliss on his toddler face. I'm sorry I can't remember the names, but I bet you might even find something similar on YouTube these days.