Saturday, January 28, 2012

This Doesn't Count

For some time now, Cubby has been talking quite clearly in single words, but not quite stringing the words together to form a sentence.  Until this morning.  I think.

He had his hammer and was standing there with it, looking as if he might be contemplating hammering the coffee table.  So I suggested to him he should go to his toy box and get out the bench with the pegs so he could hammer on that.

He looked at me for a second and then said, "Mom?"

"Yes?" I replied.

And then, quite definitely, he said, "Get it."

Am I hearing this correctly?  My child's first sentence was a peremptory, "Mom, get it"? Swell.

I, of course, replied that Cubby could get his own bench from the toy box.  Which he did.

I'm not counting this as the first sentence, however, both because I would really like his first sentence to be something nice like, "Mom, love you,*" and also because there was that pause in between the two parts of the sentence.  So technically, it doesn't count.

I fear, however, that this is the sentence that will go down in family history as the earliest spoken indication of Cubby's character.  Much like his father's first sentence--"No, don't want to!"--was a pretty reliable indicator of his personality for the rest of his life.

Maybe we should encourage Cubby to join the military.  Then he could become an officer and tell people what to do all the time.  But until then, he's out of luck.

* There is about as much chance of this, I fear, as there is a chance that I will retrieve a peg bench in response to a command from my two year old.  That is, none.

6 comments:

Joan @ Debt of Gratitude said...

My daughter, Kate's first sentence, at two, was "Wal-Mart. Go in. Pay for. Have it." (We were driving by.) I didn't go in or pay for anything on that day, but it was a very clear indicator of her true nature. (Hmmmmm, wonder where she gets it from?) Just last night we drove 200 miles round trip to go in, pay for and have a wonderful green dress.

Anonymous said...

My girls first words were Mom and No and she has been saying that ever since.

Sherry said...

Yes, things are going to be interesting around your house in a few more months when big brother has to contend with a new sibling for attention!!!

sheila said...

First children think that Mom is there to wait on them hand and foot. This too will pass when his world is turned upside down with a newer more demanding model.

Lucky for you and Cubby he has other doting adults around to take up some of the slack.

Anonymous said...

Take it as a question, and your darling boy was ASKING if he should go and get the toy. You know, asking for permission. Perhaps?

I know, not really. But, it's worth a try.....

Moi

rls said...

Just catching up on two weeks of blog reading due to work travel no time no time no time for anything, so I'm extremely late in saying CONGRATULATIONS ON THE PRECIOUS CARGO!!!! That's all.