Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Culinary Notes

Last night around 5 p.m., I asked A. if he was hungry, meaning should I start making hamburgers from the ground beef I had taken out to thaw.  He said no, not really, because he had eaten at the Chinese buffet for lunch.  I wasn't hungry either, so I decided to just make Cubby a couple of eggs for his dinner, figuring A. and I would forage later for our dinners if we wanted to.

Here's what we ended up having for dinner individually:

Cubby ate his two eggs, plus some leftover balsamic-glazed parsnips, leftover brussels sprouts, milk, and applesauce.

A., despite his assertion that he wasn't really hungry, began preparing his dinner while Cubby was eating his odd collection of foods.  A. made two hamburger patties, between which he sandwiched slices of Brie cheese.  This, in turn, was topped with a fried egg, and that whole mess was finished off with ketchup and mayonnaise. He christened this incredible concoction "The Tower of Power."

The very thought of it made me want to throw up.  I may have been rude enough to actually say that out loud, which fazed A. not in the least.

After Cubby went to bed, I made myself a sandwich with sharp cheddar cheese, mayonnaise, and Dilly Beans. A., in what was undoubtedly fair play on his part, told me that that made him want to throw up.  He seemed particularly disturbed at the pairing of cheese and mayonnaise.  Is it really that weird to put mayonnaise on a cheese sandwich?  I always do.

And, on a completely unrelated note, the leftover sugar syrup from a jar of canned pears when mixed with seltzer tastes amazingly like cream soda.  I have no idea why that would be, but there you are.

10 comments:

Phoo-D said...

Mayo and cheese? Totally not weird. That was a standard combination at our house for years.

sheila said...

Your sandwhich is one I've eaten many, many times and would even eat right now for breakfast, except I just finished a bowl of oatmeal. Stacked burgers, Brie, fried egg with ketchup and mayo.... that was overkill. Cheese with mayo is the problem? What does A think Brie is, chopped liver?

Tina - Our Rustic Roots said...

But A ate cheese and mayo in his tower, too! lol.

Anonymous said...

Is the mayo-cheese thing Southern? Sort of like the mixture that is pimiento cheese?

Anonymous said...

I'm wondering if both of you are pregnant... lol

Stephanie Z said...

A cheese and Mayo sandwich is my very favorite! I take hard cheddar and grate it, mix in some mayo and spread it on toast.. Yum.

mil said...

It's great that Adam is so willing to help clean up the remains of the wheel of Brie we had for the baby shower. What a handy son.

Charade said...

The only thing worse than cheese and mayo would be cheese and Miracle Whip!

Joan @ Debt of Gratitude said...

We forage for dinner more than you might guess. Last night, I had leftover beef stew. Yum to the max! Kate had cereal. Doug had leftover rosemary roast chicken, another yum to the max! And, frankly, I have no idea what Parker had. Crackers and cheese, maybe.

Mayo on cheese? But of course!

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

The Tower of Power reminds me, and not in a good way, of Paula Dean's "lady's sandwich" - hamburger patties with cheese and fried egg sandwiched between two glazed donuts.

I'm NOT pregnant and I might hurl over that one.