Thursday, August 30, 2012

Harvest Time

Despite the general suckage of the garden this year, it is still time to start harvesting things.  Things like tomatoes, potatoes, and two random volunteer butternut squashes, which Cubby and I gathered up this morning.

Also things like the Seckel pears from the tree in the paddock.  But first, A. had to get rid of the possum the dogs killed last night that was lying next to the pear tree.

No, that is not a joke.  And yes, it did freak me out, because you know how possums will play, uh, possum?  I'm always convinced they're not really dead, but rather pretending so I can get close enough so they can leap up and attach themselves to my face.

ANYWAY.

After A. disposed of the definitely-dead possum, the whole happy family commenced pear harvesting.


Okay, so A. actually did most of it.  But the rest of us were there for moral support.

Cubby, while enthused by the idea, was not really so much a help with the actual harvesting, due to his insistence that he eat all the pears.  Even though I kept telling him they were too hard (pears actually finish ripening off the tree), he kept pulling pears out, gnawing on them for a couple of minutes, then tossing them away because--SURPRISE!--they were too hard.


Luckily, there were still plenty of pears left despite this annoying habit.

Oh, and there was a ladybug.


Charlie was also not much help, since he was busy doing . . . well, what Charlie does.


When tummy time becomes nap time.

When the pears are actually soft in a couple of weeks, I'll probably end up making them into pear sauce and freezing it.  And giving them to Cubby to eat, of course.  But only WHEN THEY'RE SOFT, CHILD.  

Kids.

4 comments:

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

Oh, my goodness. I can think of nothing better than napping in the shade outside on a fuzzy blanket.

I want to do that now.

I don't think my afternoon caseload would understand if their therapist was dozing out back on a blanket.

That's so unprofessional.

Daisy said...

Tummy time outside! What a lucky baby.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the outstanding posts!

Anonymous said...

Yah, Lindsey, but a very good example of how to live your life relaxing. Beth
Who wouldn't trust a counselor who was so happy in her life.