Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The Cold that Killed the Weather Station

The SAD FACE weather station got so sad last night, it committed suicide.

At least, it got so cold last night that the weather station stopped functioning. When we got up at 5:30 this morning (thanks, Charlie!), A. went right to the weather station for a reading and found that there was no reading. The outside sensor--which runs on batteries--stopped working. A check of the old-fashioned mercury thermometer outside revealed that it was currently a toasty 10 degrees below zero.

A., our resident weather fanatic, was enthused about the low reading. I was not so enthused when I realized it meant the preschool would not be open today.

SAD FACE indeed. Especially since Cubby woke up this morning at 7 a.m. with both loud and hyperactive guns blazing. Figuratively speaking, of course.

But then, I remembered that it's Wednesday morning. And Wednesday morning means story hour at the village library! HOORAY! Almost as good as preschool.

Charlie and I have not been attending the story hour since Cubby started preschool, because frankly I enjoy my only-one-child time too much to willingly attend an event that features more like twenty children, but I sure was grateful for it today.

So we whooped it up at the library and then came home for lunch. As the kids were eating, I started wiping down various disgusting areas of the baseboards in the breakfast room we eat in, which is when I discovered that our bedroom isn't the only room with ice on the walls.

Yup, there was ice covering the bottom of the wall and the baseboards in the corner of the kitchen with an exposed exterior corner. In fact, the box of grapefruit that had been on the floor there--for obvious purposes of VERY cold storage--had actually frozen to the wall.

SUPER.

But hey, at least it wasn't my pillow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anchor Ice should be stupendous!

Lindsey at NW Backyard Veggies said...

Damn.

That's hard core winter. Seriously.

Stay warm!!

rls said...

I have decided this year that I really need to learn how to hibernate.

FinnyKnits said...

Good effing lord with the ice in your house.

IN YOUR HOUSE.

INSIDE.

Stay warm, doll!