Friday, June 27, 2008

Warning: Ranting Ahead

I figured since I already publicly admitted yesterday that I go to bed at 9 p.m., despite being neither 8 nor 80 years old, I should take the opportunity to lecture about sleep. I can sum it up pretty quickly, though.

SLEEP MORE.

It seems like half the people I know are always complaining about how tired they are, how they just can't get to bed early. I don't understand this. You go to bed when you want to go to bed. I do. Exceptions might include a baby or some serious insomnia.

I don't do well on too little sleep. And when I say "too little," I'm talking less than at least nine hours a night. Yes, nine. Ideally, ten. If it gets to eight or less, it starts to get ugly. I don't function. I get nauseated. I look like total crap (except my eyes, which for some reason are very green when I'm exhausted--though the effect is marred by the heinous black circles underneath). And I get so, so cranky.

I understand that everyone has different sleep needs, that not everyone has to sleep nine hours a night. And I also understand that some people don't sleep well through the night, even when they do go to bed at a reasonable hour. But what I don't understand is admitting you won't go to bed before 2 a.m. and then constantly bitching about how tired you are. JUST GO TO BED. IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE.

But speaking of science, have you noticed all the studies recently about how more sleep can help everything from obesity to heart attacks? I would now like to publicly state that I TOLD YOU SO.

Can you tell I get worked up about this? Perhaps it's because I've taken shit my whole life for needing so much sleep. The constant head shaking about my 9 p.m. bedtime, the constant snide comments about how childish sleeping that much is, the constant explanations of how this person only needs 4 hours a night. To which I say . . .

BULLSHIT--I CAN SEE YOUR EYE BAGS.

So please, for the love of everything true and holy, just sleep more. You'll be happier, the people around you will be happier, I'll be happier.

Sleep--it makes the world a better place.

I wrote this yesterday when I was a little sleep-deprived. I told you it makes me cranky. And also, it apparently makes me write in all caps. ALL THE TIME.

7 comments:

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

I could tell you all the reasons you're wrong, but I don't feel like writing that much just now. I'm too tired.

SaraPMcC said...

Well, I'm one of those always tired people you're probably talking about. But I'm also one of those people with some serious sleep issues, like some insomnia and not sleeping through the night. So what to do? Who knows. But it isn't easy for some of us to get to bed early, even if we try. So STOP YELLING! And good for you for getting to bed early. You should always get all the sleep you need. Don't take crap for it from anyone.

It's me said...

I know what you mean about being made fun of for going to sleep at 9pm. I remember so many times where people thought I was "boring" or being a "party pooper" when I just was tired. If we'd have started the fun earlier, I'd have totally been up for it. But you can't start something at 9pm and expect me to be much entertainment.

mil said...

Sarapmcc--
There may be hope for you! My sister has had chronic sleep problems for years and years. But she goes to this wonderworker who informed her that she was sleeping in a twisted position, which was causing her to wake up. She now arranges her body better for sleeping, and behold, she sleeps!
Unfortunately, I have no idea just how he told her to sleep--

MsPicketToYou said...

The Stud just got home from a week long business trip. First class all the way, wined and dined, with some glamorous work thrown in.

Needed to take a nap this afternoon. Why? I say. No kids, late call times -- I'm supposed to be the tired one. He cannot turn off the hotel tv off it seems and must watch old movies until the crack of dawn.

Poor poor baby.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels best with more than 8 hours sleep! Most people look at you like you're crazy when you mention you go to bed at 9 pm and get up at 6 am.

Mayberry Magpie

Tina Post said...

SaraPMcC (from another family member): wonder worker = acupuncturist. My aunt was sleeping on her side with the wrong knee up, thereby twisting her hips/torso. If the other knee is up (I think it's the bottom knee--this may not make sense until you try it) it puts your hips square to your shoulders instead. Sadly I tried this trick and it did not work for me. But, seeing as it does help for some people it's worth a shot!