Saturday, June 28, 2008

Any Volunteers?

Why, yes! We have several volunteer plants in the garden. Volunteer means we didn't plant the things or plan on them, they just appeared on their own. The chervil is always volunteer. I think it was planted last century (slight exaggeration, perhaps), and yet it grows like a weed all over the damn garden every year. There are always some brave little potatoes that survived the fall harvest and poke out their shoots in the spring, only to be ruthlessly exterminated because they're in the middle of the beets. You gotta be tough to be a gardener.

But some volunteer plants get to live on. The volunteer lettuce was much appreciated this year, and was spared by the rototiller. As were the chives. And then there's this monster.

This is our compost heap. I know, it's kind of ghetto. It is yet another sterling example of junk farming. But you see that gigantic plant that appears to be right inside the compost heap? It is indeed right inside the compost heap. That's a volunteer squash plant. Of some kind. We're not sure yet whether it's acorn squash or pumpkin. I'm hoping for the acorn squash, because I like those better. And whatever it is, there's going to be a lot of it, because there's already like 50 blossoms on that thing (perhaps another slight exaggeration).


And on another completely random note, it is clear to me that the majority of my readers do all their blog reading at work, because I don't see a whole lot of traffic here on the weekends. What a bunch of slackers you all are. How do you stay employed? But that's why I'm posting about a volunteer squash plant today. I can be as weird and boring as I want on weekends and know that only a handful of people will be witness to my randomness.

7 comments:

coffee and queso said...

comment!! okay, i haven't had coffee and am waiting for butter to soften. (damn butter always takes so damn long...) anyway, i'm here! so what're you going to do? looks like it's time for a new compost heap. :D

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm reading at work AND it's a weekend - do I get extra pints for that? BTW - I hope it's acorn too....Moi

MsPicketToYou said...

I'm bored on the weekends just as I am during the week.
Thank god for random posts on compost.

SaraPMcC said...

I have no idea how I stay employed. I dream of pink slips. And squashes in a compost pile.

Kristin @ Going Country said...

What are we going to do? Just leave it, of course. We figure volunteer plants should be embraced and encouraged whenever possible, seeing as how they grow with absolutely no care on our part, and I'm a lazy gardener (not really), so I'm all about that.

And that IS our new compost heap. You should've seen the old one. It's way far from the house and is currently covered over by the Rosebush That Ate New York. That's why I made the new one up against the garden fence. See: lazy, above.

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

The answer is: you put a lot of paperwork on the desk, spread them out so that it looks like you are very hard at work. When the boss walks by, put your hand on your forehead like you are thinking very hard. Easy! LOL

Tina Post said...

Somehow I don't work "breaks" into my weekend, thereby eliminating the need to surf the internet in either 15-minute or 1-hour increments. This is a relief. If I can, I avoid _touching_ my computer during the weekend. Weekends are for dirt, dirt, dirt! (Inside and outside, alas.)