Sunday, June 29, 2008

The View

This view is a lot more peaceful than those harpies screeching away on morning television. In my opinion.

We have a very nice front porch. Okay, so the roof leaks a little and needs re-shingling, and maybe some of the floorboards could be replaced, but let's not quibble over petty problems. You can forget them all when you're sitting there looking out at this.




Not bad, right? You can't really see the lake so much in the summer, what with the gigantic trees on the lawn, but in winter when all the leaves are gone, there's a nice view of the lake and an uninterrupted path for the howling winds to blow snow from the lake directly at the house. That brownish looking tree you see in the center isn't dead; it's a tree called a Copper Beech and it's supposed to be that color. It is also just about the only tree I can actually identify, despite numerous repetitive tutorials by A. on the subject of tree identification.

That little group of three trees to the right is where Mia killed and ate a bunny just last week. And to the left, just outside of the picture, is the driveway. Just below that first tree on the left is where Leda killed and partially ate the woodchuck. It's kind of like a Civil War battlefield--peaceful, and yet filled with the ghosts of the fallen.

There are also tons of fireflies out there now at night. And there are hammocks on the porch, suitable for gentle swaying in the summer breeze. Perhaps you would prefer to focus on that. A guided tour of Blackrock can be a gruesome thing.

P.S. Please note that this is post #100. Can you believe I've been spewing this drivel for over three months now? Yeah, me neither.

6 comments:

me again said...

Oh how I envy you the view and the porch. How I wish I had a big ol' porch. Sigh. And big congrats on post #100; I look forward to reading hundreds more. Yikes ... sounds daunting though, huh? I'm nowhere near that yet myself. One word at a time, one word.

Anonymous said...

There's nothing like porch sitting to refresh the soul. I'm in a neighborhood, so my view doesn't rival yours, but we love it all the same.

Mayberry Magpie

krysta said...

Happy 100! I bet that porch would be a good sit back and have a beer porch.

Drew @ Cook Like Your Grandmother said...

Did you have a cake? Blow out candles? Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

That's your front porch??!! Wowzers.

BTW, here's to 100 more!

SaraPMcC said...

Seriously jealous of your view. And your front porch. Man, I wish I had a porch.